1. LASHINDA DEMUS MOTHER OF TWINS AMERICAN RECORD HOLDER 2012 OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST
2. The Mother of All OLYMPIC DreamsTeam USA’s LASHINDA DEMUS, 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist and Americanrecord holder, is a track superstar phenomenon born in Southern California. Atthe age of two, LASHINDA’s mother introduced her to the track, not realizingthat her admiration for running would eventually lead her to a #1 world rankingin the 400 meter hurdles. In 2004, LASHINDA turned professional aftercompeting in the Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece. Following the games, sheearned the first of two national titles in the 400 meter hurdles (2005).In the latter part of 2006, the world’s top ranked hurdler revved up for thefamily life. After marriage, and pregnancy 5’7 LASHINDA gained more than 50pounds. LASHINDA successfully delivered twin boys in June 2007 andastonishingly was back in training just weeks later collectively regaining herhealth and strength to recapture her #1 status.
3. LASHINDA’s return wasn’t an easy transition, and there were many setbacks. For the better part of a year, LASHINDA struggled with Post- Partum depression, something that affects nearly 13% of pregnant women and new mothers according to government statistics. Only 6 weeks after birth, LASHINDA’s mother, her coach and a former NCAA champion, helped bridge the gap, and a few months later, the four time world champion was working out at an elite level just in time to compete at the 2008 Olympic trials. She led for most of the race but slowly faded to fourth missing the Olympic 400 meter hurdle team by . 14 seconds. This loss only increased her drive to succeed. “I see myself winning. Every time I envision running, I see myself winning”
4. In the 2009 season, LASHINDA lit up Europe running world leadingtimes in four out of seven races. She set world best times in Monaco,London and Crete, Greece. LASHINDA posted the then fourth-fastesttime ever when she blistered the track with a personal best of 52.63(beat the 2008 Olympic Champion at the time). A month laterLASHINDA went under 53 seconds after a flawed race in the 2009World Championships in Berlin, running a time of 52.96s for thesilver medal (also 11th fastest time in history) and securing Gold inthe 1600 meter relay.With much enthusiasm and focus to succeed, LASHINDA secured thewomen’s 400m hurdles world title and the American record duringthe 2011 world championships in Daegu, Korea. LASHINDA ran thefastest 400 meter hurdle time that year, setting a new world best(52.47) to defeat defending champion Melanie Walker of Jamaica .LASHINDA’S time was the third fastest ever, and breaking the 16 yearold American record established her as one of the favorites in the2012 Olympics.
5. Although LASHINDA is best known as theworld’s top-ranked 400-meter hurdler andone of the greatest female hurdlers inhistory – the spotlight at the 2012 Olympics .was shared by her 5-year-old twin boys,Duaine and Dontae, whom she nicknamedthe “twindigs.” Throughout the Games, herchildren were her biggest cheerleaders,screaming “GO MOMMY” from the stands.Before her finals, NBC aired a segmentwhere LASHINDA spoke candidly abouthow she dealt with depression after thebirth of her sons. Like many workingmothers, LASHINDA had to find apositively connected lifestyle as she “I want to leave a legacy for my kids,struggled with balancing her career and something they can look back at andfamily. not have an excuse to do whateverIt was LASHINDA’S sons that inspired her they want to do and take the easy wayto train again. More determined than ever, out. You cant beat hard work”LASHINDA is preparing for the 2016Olympics. She is most definitely a triplethreat and continues to redefine the role ofwomen athletes as mothers
6. Personal Data Hometown: Los Angeles, CA 9 – year old wife and mother of 5-year-old twin 2 boys Duaine and Dontae Won Silver medal in Women’s 400-meter in 2012 Olympics Won Gold medal at the 2011 World championships Set American record of 52.47 in 2011 4x World Champion Unexpected pregnancy kept her from the 2008 Olympics Battled difficult pregnancy and post-partum depression Demus’ mother, Yolanda, was a NCAA 400m champion at Cal State LA and is also her coach. Best hurdler in the history of American track and field Alignment with one of the Nation’s best female athletes.