1. By: Lexi Zanaglio, Alexis Vite, Laken Poole, and Breanna Knox
2. We chose the twizzlers because they are sturdy and tough and
will protect the cell like the cell wall does.
The plants cell wall is rigid and protects it from injury.
Also it is what maintains the plant cell’s shape.
3. We used pieces of liquorish
to represent the cell
membrane because they are
thin just like the actual
This is the outer lining of a cell and
controls what goes in and out of the cell
4. We chose to use a lemon to
represent the nucleus because
the lemon has different sections
like the compartments in real
Directs much of the activity in a cell. It
contains the Nucleolus, which stores the
5. We chose to use green Mike & Ike candy to represent the mitochondria
because they are almost the same shape.
Mitochondria produce an energy-rich molecule
called ATP that fuels most of the action in the cell.
6. We used a jelly bean to represent the chloroplast because it is a jelly
gooey substance inside the jelly bean like the actual chloroplast.
Chloroplast converts the sun’s rays into energy so the cell can use it.
7. We used a Fruit Roll-up to
represent the Golgi body
because it represents the stack
like structure of the Golgi
The Golgi Apparatus groups items and packages them in vesicles. They also ship
the vesicles to different places. Some of the packages leave the cell while
others go to other organelles in the cell.
8. We used ripped up twizzlers
because the actual Rough ER is
a eukaryotic organelle made
up of a system of
membranous tubes that is
studded with ribosomes on its
surface giving it a rough
The rough endoplasmic reticulum is important for packing proteins.
9. We used red Mike & Ike candies to represent the smooth ER because they are
smooth and do not contain any ribosomes.
The smooth endoplasmic reticulum is the storage unit for steroids.
10. We chose the nerds to represent the ribosomes because you can lay the nerds in
little clusters to look like how real ribosomes look.
Ribosomes that are free-floating create proteins that
stay within the cell. Ribosomes on the endoplasmic
reticulum make proteins that can either leave or stay
inside the cell
11. We chose milk duds to represent the vacuole because the vacuoles are a membranebound vesicle found in the cytoplasm whose functions include storage and digestion
and it is the similar shape.
Vacuoles store water and nutrients that the cell needs to
survive. It also stores wastes so that the cell doesn’t
12. We chose the extreme air
heads to represent the nuclear
membrane because the
nuclear membrane is in layers
the same as the extreme air
Regulates the in and out movement of
substances in a cell especially between the
nucleus and the cytoplasm. It is double layered
and surrounds the nucleus.
13. We used cake icing to represent the cytoplasm because it was able to
hold all the other candy in place like the real cytoplasm of cells.
Cytoplasm is the fluid that fills a cell. It
contains all the organelles that are in the cell.
It ensures that the cell doesn’t shrink.
14. We chose to use
the red gob
the nucleolus is a
Contains the entire DNA in a cell.
Controls what goes on. Used for
15. We used gum to represent the Chromatin because we
could twist the gum into the same shape as DNA.
*Note: Chromatin is located
in the cell nucleus of the cell
but due to size and a
chromatin was free floating.
Chromatin is DNA or RNA and
proteins that condense to form
chromosomes. Chromosomes are
the structures in the cell that holds