PCG Public Partnerships Case Study, AZ DDD Program
Financial Management Services for a State
Program in Arizona
THE PPL APPROACH
PPL recognized that Arizona needed its Fiscal Intermediary to be a partner
in the development as well as the implementation and execution of the
program. PPL performed the following
• Worked with management teams from DDD to develop program
rules and structure;
Arizona Department of Economic Security, Division of
Fiscal intermediary services for individuals who use
independent providers through the developmental
Since 2004, the Arizona Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
has contracted with PCG Public Partnerships, LLC (PPL) to provide fiscal
intermediary services. This self determination program was one of the first
high volume programs in the country and DDD looked for a vendor that
could provide highly scalable services.
The DDD self determination program is available throughout the state
of Arizona, a large and sprawling area. Prior to implementation, Public
Partnerships, in partnership with DDD, conducted a statewide phasedin program launch to insure that prospective employers and employees
were efficiently enrolled in cities and towns across the state. This program
launch model is designed to ensure efficient, user-friendly enrollment
processes for new users.
PPL continues to work with the Division to identify, develop, and provide
efficient, effective solutions which will yield opportunities for continued
• Established a local office to provide comprehensive customer service,
outreach, and training on all topics - including program requirements,
tax requirements, and budget utilization information;
• Configured PPL information technology platforms to fit DDD’s unique
• Developed an authorization system to support management and
participant reporting requirements, utilization management, and
state cost efficiency goals;
• Customized reports to DDD’s program requirements to identify any
behavior trends surrounding enrollment, payroll activities, and
general use of the program;
• Instituted bi-weekly meetings with DDD to improve program
• Worked at the local level with district staff to conduct enrollment and
training sessions for consumers, families, and stakeholders;
• Continues to leverage the ongoing advancement of Public
Partnerships’s technology platforms in the DDD program; and
• Enforces state and federal program requirements.
• PPL currently provides financial and customer services to nearly 2,000
consumers with developmental disabilities.
• More than 3,000 individually hired employees are providing services
to individuals participating in Arizona’s self determination program.
• On average, PPL customer service staff fields over 2,000 calls per
PCG Public Partnerships, LLC | 148 State Street, Tenth Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02109 | tel: (855) 243-8775 fax: (617) 717-0085
Copyright Public Consulting Group, Inc.