1. So You Want to Make More Money
There are an estimated 31 Million bloggers in the
2. Better Content, Bigger Pay
Getting traffic is easy…
How do you get the
3. Overview of Content Strategy
Identifying Your Audience
Targeting with Content
Providing Visitors Real Value
Encouraging Return Visits
4. Know Your Target Audience
• Target audience = customers
(Not Your Audience: Other Bloggers)
• Current audience and target audience may not
be the same group of people.
• Better align content to audience to grow $$$
5. Steps for Identifying Your Audience
Determine your best-performing keywords.
Identify your competitors.
Discover key demographics.
6. Tools for Audience Identification
Google Analytics - Referral Keywords
• See where you’re currently performing
• Identify areas for improvement
7. Tools for Audience Identification
SEM Rush – Competitor Keywords
• Identify missed
8. Tools for Audience Identification
Quantcast - Demographics
9. Tools for Audience Identification
Bing Ads Intelligence – Excel Plugin
Be careful: You could get lost here forever
10. (Relevant) Content is King
Once you’ve identified your target audience,
capture them with content.
How do you know your content is truly relevant?
• Aligns with a business objective.
• Relates to visitors’ interests.
• Has an element of timeliness.
11. Keep Them Coming Back
• Consumers need to see a brand multiple times
• Getting return visitors means you don’t have
to work as hard to grow traffic.
12. How to Retain Visitors on Your Site
• Provide real value
• Meet your audience’s expectations
• Be creative!
(Beta is going to blow your mind with a story about that later).
13. Content that Works
Other Multimedia (images, sound, infographics, etc.)
Resources and tools (calculators, FAQs, Glossary, etc.)
Case studies, investigative reporting, original data
Design & navigation ● Site load & performance ● Post consistency ● Strong brand ● Engagement
15. You’ve gotten this far….so now what??
Build Your Strategy, live your strategy
Not Stating the Obvious
Email / Newsletters
KPI Goals – Know them, Use them
16. Monetization Cycle
17. Indirect offers that directly relate to
FACT: 95% of home owners order pizza the
first night they move in.
When you move into a new place, what is
the first thing you set up?
19. Email Newsletters
20. Targeted messaging can generate dramatic gains in open and click
rates, significant reductions in unsubscribes and complaints, plus
improve mailer reputation and inbox delivery. ¹ Conversion rates in
a recent study increased by a staggering 208% on highly
targeted email campaigns compared with untargeted emails. ²
(1) eMarketer.com, Survey of Online Marketers in North America
(2) Marketing Sherpa, Artbeads.com Case Study
21. KPI Goals & Understanding
What They Mean To YOUR Top Line
Biggest Pain Point: Tighter budgets and lower payouts
– What are Advertisers/Agencies looking for?
• Increase Customer Base & Quality
– How do you stand out from the crowd?
• Quality Content
• Understanding Demographics
• Understanding Advertisers’ Goals
22. Monetization Best Practices
Placement of text links near price
points to draw higher CTR
23. Monetization Best Practices
Using an icon in front of text
creatives, as its proven links with
images perform better
24. Monetization Best Practices
Creatives and/or ad copy should
always be above the fold
25. Monetization Best Practices
Utilize the term “free” effectively,
including different variations
(i.e. Complimentary, $0, etc.)
26. Monetization Best Practices
Relevancy: relate the ad copy to
the consumers actions and what
they are looking for
27. Monetization Best Practices
Keeping ad creative fresh – using
advertiser ad serving platform to
do this without using your own
28. Monetization Best Practices
Matching creative to site look and
feel (colors, fonts, images, etc.)
29. Monetization Best Practices
Have a clear call to action for the
consumer to take direction
30. Monetization Best Practices
Use “trusted partner” or
“preferred partner” when
applicable “we recommend”
31. Monetization Best Practices
Test, Test, Test!
32. Monetization Best Practices
Placement of text links near price points to draw higher CTR
Using an icon in front of text creatives as its proven links with images perform better
Creatives and/or ad copy should always be above the fold
Utilize the term “free” effectively, including different variations (i.e. Complimentary, $0, etc.)
Relevancy: relate the ad copy to the consumers actions and what they are looking for
Keeping ad creative fresh – using advertiser ad serving platform to do this without using your own resources
Matching creative to site look and feel (colors, fonts, images, etc.)
Have a clear call to action for the consumer to take direction
Use “trusted partner” or “preferred partner” when applicable “we recommend”
Test, Test, Test!