1. Digital Media, DigitalLiteracy and Youth“Educators must become conscious individuals who live partof their dreams within their educational space”
2. My educational space(s)• For over a decade I have worked with youth and digital media.• Recently that work has expanded to include the use of digital media in cross cultural contexts.• I am most interested in the power of digital media to articulate and shape the world.
3. Gen M | Gen Z | Digital Natives• Use technology • 94% cell phone • 23% smartphone • 70% laptop • 69% iPod or mp3 player • 23% tablet • 93% use the internet • 80% use social networking • 48% buy things online • 21% remix • 14% blog • 8% visit virtual worlds
4. New skills for learning• Evolving 21st century literacies • Digital • Cross cultural• Collaborative • Peer discovery, production • Social
5. New ways of learning
6. Digital literacy
7. Range of digital engagement
8. Moving beyond lolcats
9. Youth Powered VideoCurriculum • Standards based curriculum • Lesson plans • Handouts • Rubrics • Sample chapter download available • Cost Image from Educational Video Center http://www.evc.org/
10. Media in Action Curriculum • Downloadable curriculum • Explores issues of power, messaging • Decidedly not “neutral” • From the Global Action Project Image from Global Action Project http://global-action.org/
11. 4-H• Storytelling/Documentary• Message/program specific• High level of access to tools and technologies
12. Nicaragua• Technology as novelty• Self expression• Low level of access to tools and technologies
13. Digital as bridge• Digital technologies can mediate and bridge relationships across cultures.• But….
14. Connecting to the worldBringing it all back home?
15. References/Resources• Berkman Center Youth and Media Project • http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/youthandmediaalpha/• Global Action Project | Media in Action Curriculum • http://curriculum.global-action.org/• Educational Video Center | Youth Powered Video Curriculum • http://www.evc.org/store/books-curricula/youth-powered-video• Digital and Media Literacy: A Plan of Action • http://www.knightcomm.org/digital-and-media-literacy-a-plan- of-action/• Pew Internet and American Life Project • http://pewinternet.org/• Hackasarus • http://hackasaurus.org/en-US/
16. A couple books• Designing Digital Experiences for Positive Youth Development: From Playpen to Playground – Marina Umaschi Bers • http://amzn.to/HEnoGG• Digital and Media Literacy: Connecting Culture and Classroom – Renee Hobbs • http://amzn.to/Hf2qll• Teaching Youth Media | A Critical Guide to Literacy, Video Production & Social Change - Steven Goodman • http://bit.ly/HaF0Ax• Literacy in a Digital World: Teaching and Learning in the Age of Information – Kathleen Tyner • http://amzn.to/HO4W1P