Choose one or two challengesCan you demonstrate a solution?
( If you have been faced with a similar challenge recently, feel free to challenge other groups with that situation )
If I know how to do this, how do I do it and how do I know how to do it? (Am I the “go to” person for this?)If the question is not about something I know/in my comfort zone:- should I know how to do this? - can I easily/how do I find out how to do this? - is knowing this in my job remit anyway...? - who can I pass this on to who will know?
Other things to consider:- are the challenges authentic? (If not, what would be…?)- what skills are required to complete them?- should the Library be able to help with these sorts of query in a fulfilment and/or training capacity? (If not, who should be?)
0. Search How do I search over:
UK Higher Education Websites
all UK HEI Library websites
a list of known domains
as a one-off? as a service in a course context?
1. Current Awareness How do I keep track of:
articles my colleagues have written?
new resources relating to a topic I have written teaching material about?
changes in legislation I care about?
2. Live Data Where can I find:
sales figures for UK games and game consoles, compared with music and DVD sales figures;
satisfaction scores for UK HEIs, and the location of those institutions;
web traffic stats for UK search engines as compared to news and social media sites?
How do I maintain currency of this data in a course?
3. Linked Open Data How do I access current government data to:
find schools that opened between two recent dates?
find traffic count data for locations around Milton Keynes?
4. Text Handling How do I convert data from the Volcanic Ash Advisory page (http://bit.ly/aV4FNH ) to a set of latitude/longitude co-ordinates listed in a CSV file?
5. Mapping How do I plot markers corresponding to latitude/longitude co-ordinates in a CSV file on a map?
6. Visualisation How do I visualise the structure of a social network:
on Facebook (e.g. a group);
on Twitter (e.g. people using a particular hashtag);
in an OU VLE forum?
7. Licensing Can I embed or reuse Youtube movies, flickrimages or government data in:
8. Analytics What user segments are using Library resources you are responsible for, and how? (How would you find out?) How are students on specific OU courses using Library materials? (Do course teams know? Should they?)
Day 174 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/data_op/2607667209
“Let’s have a heated debate” - were the challenges authentic? (If not, what would have been…?)- what skills were required to complete them?- should the Library be able to help with these sorts of query in a fulfilment and/or training capacity? (If not, who should be?)