• Born Franklin Lincoln Wright. Changed
middle name after parents divorced.
• Born in Richmond Center Wisconsin.
• went to University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Dropped out after two semesters.
• Married, started career designing prairie
• After 20 years of marriage fell in love with
Mamah Borthwick Cheney, wife of man that
commissioned him to design house.
• Eloped and moved to Italy.
• alienated from the architecture community
in the US.
• 1911 moved back to Wisconsin after
personal life settled.
• Built house on his mothers land.
• While working in Chicago servant light
Wright’s house on ﬁre and murdered his
wife and 6 others with an axe.
• Continued designing architecture and
• Died in 1959 while still designing buildings.
• Created Organic Architecture.
• Building is supposed to come out of its
surroundings and compliment it.
• supposed to serve the person occupying
• feels like part of the environment, not
New York City
Take elevator to top and walk to ﬂoor of building
took 16 years
Inﬂuence in Suburban Design
Prefabrication and efﬁciency of in building
Slab on grade foundations
Simpliﬁed construction techniques
Developed textile block block system
Precast concrete blocks locked together
Alice Millard House
Samuel Freeman House