1. The Ministry of Membership Heidi Mastrud, Director of Congregational Life, First Universalist Church of Minneapolis, UUAMP Board of Trustees Phil Lund, Director of Faith Development and Congregational Growth, Prairie Star District
3. Chalice Lighting
4. Inviting ReflectionThink of a time that your congregation did not do a good job of being open to newcomers.
5. Radical Hospitality“When I let a stranger into my heart, I let a new possibility approach me. When I reach past my own ideas, I begin to stretch myself open to the world, and this opening of my heart could change everything.That’s pretty frightening stuff.You can’t ever be the same if you start doing that kind of thing.” - From Introduction, p.xx
6. Hearing Your VoicesDescribe Unitarian Universalism at its best.
7. Hearing Your VoicesDescribe Unitarian Universalism at its worst.
8. What is the Role of theMembershipProfessional/Committee?
9. Cultivating a Culture of InclusivityThis is everyone’s work.Preach it!Communicate strategically.Align programming.
10. Cultivating a Culture of InclusivityNever use insider language.Intros at every meeting.Know your congregational identity.You have a vision.
11. My VisionCome into this place.There are healing waters hereand hands with soothing balmto ease your troubled days…Rest awhile.Let the warmth of this communitysurround you,hold you,heal you. -From “Saved” by Theresa Novak
12. UU Theology, Principles, Sources Inherent Worth & Dignity of All Wisdom Justice, From the Equity & World’s Compassion Religions Acceptance Universal of One Salvation Another
13. What is Hospitality?
14. Welcome. Without Exception.
15. My Challenge to You: Sit down tonight or tomorrow, while this is still fresh in your head, and write two or three sentences about how your work with membership is a ministry and a faith-full practice. Then send those ideas to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll compile them and disseminate them to the people on this call.
16. Radical HospitalityThrow open the windows, swing wide the doors, crank up the music of our lives and our congregations. Amazing things will happen if we… become available to others, radically available. - From Introduction, p.xx
17. Resources Serving with Grace: Lay Leadership as a Spiritual Practice, Erik Walker Wikstrom Radical Hospitality: Benedict’s Way of Love, Lonni Collins Pratt with Father Daniel Homan “Saved” from With or Without Candlelight: A Meditation Anthology, Rev.Victoria Safford, ed. Heidi’s Blog, “Not Hell But Hope” http://nothellbuthope.blogspot.com/ Rev. Justin Schroeder’s Blog, “The Well” http://wellswedidnotdig.blogspot.com/2011/10/mapping-life-hospitality-or- exclusivity.html - this will link to a post about hospitality www.uuamp.org or Facebook Group: UUAMP
18. Questionsor Comments?
19. Thank you!Join UUAMP at our next webinar! Greeter 101, April 9, 7:45 ET