2. Target Student Audience Little to no experience with: Formal Project Management Concepts PMI Project Management Body of Knowledge Stakeholder Management Practices Frustrated with: Poorly Organized Work Efforts Lack of Leadership in Project Efforts Negative Stakeholder Influence on Projects
3. Course PM 103 – Project Stakeholder Management Segment One Stakeholder Identification Segment Stakeholder Engagement PlanningCourse Syllabus: Two Segment Stakeholder Management Three Segment Four Stakeholder Control QUIZ Review What You’ve Learned!
4. Segment One Stakeholder Identification
5. Project Stakeholder Management Introduction Identifying the people, groups or organizations that could impact or be impacted by the project Gather and analyze stakeholder needs and expectations regarding the project Develop management strategies for effectively and appropriately engaging stakeholders in project status, decision-making and execution Develop stakeholder communication plans and strategies Managing stakeholder conflicts of interests Facilitate stakeholder engagement and influence regarding decision-making and day-to-day project activities
10. Stakeholder Engagement Planning Introduction Define strategy for: Engaging with key project stakeholders based on their specific needs or requirements Gathering support and leveraging positive political stakeholder impacts Mitigating negative political stakeholder impacts Provide a clear, actionable plan to interact with project stakeholders to support project interests Manage expectations Control competing interests and requests for change Establish effective communications An iterative process that requires constant analysis to ensure appropriate stakeholders are engaged at appropriate times
11. Stakeholder Engagement Planning Stakeholder Engagement Planning Process Map Inputs Project Management Plan Stakeholder Roster/Register Organizational environment/cultural factors Organizational process assets Tools & Techniques Meetings Interviews Subject Matter Expertise Analytical tools and techniques Outputs Stakeholder Management Plan Updated Communications Plan
14. Stakeholder Management Introduction Increase support and minimize resistance from stakeholders This is a key factor in project success or failure Engaging with stakeholders at appropriate project stages to obtain or confirm commitment to the project’s success Managing stakeholder expectations through effective communication and negotiation Addressing potential concerns that may become issues Anticipating future issues or risks Communicating the impact of key issues and the corresponding resolution plans Ensuring that stakeholders clearly understand the project’s goals, objectives and success criteria The ability of project stakeholders to influence project outcomes is much higher at the beginning of the project, but do not dismiss or underestimate their ability to influence (directly or indirectly) the project’s outcome even in the later stages of the lifecycle.
15. Stakeholder Management Stakeholder Management Process Map Inputs Stakeholder Management Plan Communications Plan Change Management Plan Change Log Organizational Process Assets Tools & Techniques Communication Methods and Strategies Interpersonal Skills Management Skills Leadership Skills Outputs Issue Log May be part of a Risks-Assumptions-Issues-Decisions (RAID) Log Change Requests Project Management Plan Updates Project Documentation Updates Organization Process Asset Updates
18. Stakeholder Control Introduction Maintain or increase efficiency and effectiveness of stakeholder engagement Respond to changes and influences (internal or external) Introduce any changes to the scope of project in an organized and controlled manner
19. Stakeholder Control Stakeholder Control Process Map Inputs Project Management Plan Issue Log Work Performance Data Project Status Project Documentation Tools & Techniques Information Management Systems Project Management Systems Subject Matter Expertise Meetings and Interviews Outputs Work Performance Information Change Requests Project Management Plan Updates Project Documentation Updates Organizational Process Asset Updates
20. Project Stakeholder Management Final Thoughts… Project Stakeholder Management is about: Making sure you understand the people, groups or organizations that could have an impact on, or be impacted by, your project Understanding the unique needs and expectations of each key stakeholder Planning for managing and controlling the engagement and influence key stakeholders will have on your project’s decision-making and execution processes Communicating effectively to key project stakeholders to ensure they have what they need to participate in the project Leveraging stakeholders to assist in resolving conflicts, securing resources and mitigating issues Steering the project through the confusing, and potentially damaging minefield of internal organizational politics
21. QUIZ Review What You’ve Learned!
22. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 1:What is the best way tosolicit stakeholder needs?
23. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 1:What is the best way tosolicit stakeholder needs? Answer: • Interviews
24. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 2:“The process of communicating andworking with stakeholders to meettheir needs/expectations, addressissues as they occur and fosterappropriate stakeholder engagementin project activities through theproject lifecycle” is the definitionof ______________?
25. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 2:“The process of communicating andworking with stakeholders to meet Answer:their needs/expectations, address • Stakeholder Managementissues as they occur and fosterappropriate stakeholder engagementin project activities through theproject lifecycle” is the definition of______________?
26. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 3:True or False.The key output of StakeholderIdentification is theStakeholder Roster/Register
27. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 3:True or False. Answer: • TrueThe key output of StakeholderIdentification is theStakeholder Roster/Register
28. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 4: With respect to stakeholder management, what is the key factor in project success or failure?
29. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 4: With respect to stakeholder management, what is the Answer: key factor in project • Increased support and success or failure? minimized resistance from key stakeholders
30. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 5:In which project stakeholderstage would you likely beresponding to changesand/or internal or externalinfluences?IdentificationEngagement PlanningManagementControl
31. Course 103 – Project Stakeholder ManagementQUIZQuestion 5:In which project stakeholderstage would you likely be Answer:responding to changes • Controland/or internal or externalinfluences?IdentificationEngagement PlanningManagementControl
32. CONGRATULATIONS!You have successfully completed: Project Management Foundations Course 103 – Project Stakeholder Management PRESENTED BY: Think For A Change, LLC.
33. For more information on best/nextpractices, educational training, tools,techniques and process models for: –Project Management –Innovation Management –Product Management –Leadership Please visit: http://www.thinkforachange.com