Use this and the next slide to make sure they explain the difference between the 3 types of models
See the animations to understand the flow of ideas; Ask me if you don’t remember/understand.
Overall, they do a great job of using regular language
Ask if they know what “renal” means. For people who don’t understand this word, how strong is this link’s information scent?How could they increase this link’s information scent?FUNNY: Note the page URL – the website designer herself used the everyday word in her file architecture! Remind them it’s important to use words on link names that make sense to their target audience. You can call something a “feline enhancement device”, but customers call it a “cat toy.” So it’s important to talk to the users, do research, to understand their language. Card sorting is a type of research that helps with both mental models/site organization and finding names for the items in the navigation menu that are suggested by users and make sense to them.
1.  Class moves to EE 115 – starting Wednesday Readings & quiz
7. • User’s mental modelsimilar to • Designer’s representeddifferent than model • System (implementation)invisible model
8. Assumptions about people: Maximize benefits Minimize costs Minimal effort (conserve energy aka lazy)
9. How can you improve information scent?Associations Information scent Information goal
10.  Online ad:  User Experience Manager/Producer - Cars.com (1912) at Classified Ventures (Chicago, IL) http://bit.ly/fHAoxy How strong is the information scent of this link?
11.  Seen online:  Pretty cool: http://bit.ly/fmbhwp How strong is the information scent of this link?
12.  Blog post:  Please make sure that, before class on Wednesday, you take some time to understand the Gestalt principles of visual perception. Also, spend some time looking at these optical illusions and paradoxes. How strong is the information scent of these links?
13.  How strong is the information scent of each tab? How about Radar?
14. Strong/weak information scent?
15.  How about this link:What nutritional supplements help promoterenal health?http://www.purina.com/dog/necessary-nutrients/kidney.aspx