1. From Authorship to Authority Why Claiming Your Identity Matters By Chuck Price, Measurable SEO
2. Google+ is ...
3. More importantly, Google+ is ...A way to link content published to a Google+profile. Search results include a head shot ofthe author, a link to his/her Google+ profile,the number of Google+ circles the author is inand a link to more search results for theauthor.
4. Why does it Matter"Within search results, informationtied to verified online profiles willbe ranked higher than contentwithout such verification, which willresult in most users naturallyclicking on the top (verified) results.The true cost of remaininganonymous, then, might be ‘Twitter Can No More Produceirrelevance." Analysis Than A Monkey Can – Eric Schmidt Type Out A Work of Shakespeare’ c Schmidt
5. How long do I have to prepare?When can we expect to see this Impacting the SERPs?
6. It’s happening now Google is piloting the display of authorGoogle is piloting thein search information display of author information in search results to help users discover great content results now to help users discover great content
7. Who can become an Author?Anyone Can be an Author
8. Step 1: Setup a Google+ Profilehttps://plus.google.com/
9. A Profile TipYour Profile Picture is Your Brand - Choose it wisely
10. It pays to test Cyrus Shepherd did some fascinating research on the effects of profile pictures on click through rates. In the end, he determined there was no magic formula for the perfect picture, but after testing a series of images, he was able to improve CTR by 35%. That is impressivehttp://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-author-photos
11. You Look Where They Look Ann Smarty used heat map testing in her quest for the perfect profile picture. One surprising observation: “you look where they look”.http://bit.ly/WdGhM3
12. What are you looking at? Rich Brooks’ profile picture is a great example Of the Heat map Research could be deployed
13. Step 2: Link to your contenthttp://bit.ly/RZ7hbT
14. Step 3: Link your content to GoogleYou Have 3 Different Options Available
15. Option 1http://bit.ly/vGZRbu
16. Option 2http://bit.ly/vGZRbu
17. Option 3 If your CMS allows, Use a Plugin 3 easy steps: 1. Plugin Installation 2. Enter Google Profile URL 3. Post a link from your Google + Profile to Your Websitehttp://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/
18. Use the Structured Data Testing Tool to verify that its workinghttp://bit.ly/Pea703
19. Guest Blog TipWhen you guest blog, make sure that you give the host blogthe proper HTML with a link to your Google+ profile andrel=author in the link. If they don’t add the markup, youdon’t get the rich snippet.Next, add a link to the guest blog post itself in your“Contributor to” links.
20. Pro TipPro TipClaim Authorship for All of yourcontent on the Web - not just thenewly produced
21. Tip 1 for becoming Irrelevant If you dont want your authorship information to appear in search results, edit your profile. Uncheck Profile discovery option “Help others discover my profile in search results”http://plus.google.com/me/about/edit
22. What about Persona’s & Ghost Writers?This is a “Gray” AreaPro: You maintain Full Ownership of written content –no worries about an author embarrassing your brand atsome pointCon: This breaks with the intent of Authorship andAuthor rank. Googles Matt Cutts has pointed to FTClegislation against “sock puppet” accounts
26. Authorship Benefits & TakeawaysThe key benefit for an author is visibility within the SERPs, which helps withbranding.For webmasters, higher CTR and increased traffic are the most importantbenefit.Higher CTRs will become a fleeting benefit. The more sites and authors thatimplement authorship markup, the less distinguishing the authorship markupwill become.Searchmetrics reported that search results with authorship already exceeds >17%. As soon as authorship markup is a common practice the impact on CTRwill flatten
27. Can my company get authorship?REL=”PUBLISHER” is for businesses
28. Link Your Google+ Page to Your Websitehttp://bit.ly/z6tMHO
30. There are plug-ins to simplify the process. The latest version of the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin has a section to add the URL of your G+ business pagehttp://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/
31. Benefits of using rel=”publisher”Your Google+ page will be recognized as the "official" page for your brand, and give it searchpreference over impostor pages.Provides eligibility for Google Direct Connect, which takes searchers directly to a brandsGoogle+ page when they search for the brand name with a "+" in front of it.Provides increased +1s: all +1s done on the site, on the G+ page, in search results, and onAdWords ads will be aggregated.Begins to build a topical relevance and trust profile on that brand, its web content, itsGoogle+ activities, and other social media activity linked from its profile, that may influencesearch results
32. Authorship is not the same as Author RankIn 2005 Google first came out with an idea of tying a ‘rank’ to the authors ofarticles on the internet, this idea was called ‘agent rank’. The problem Google hadwas that they did not have enough data about social interactions to justify using itto rank authors. That changed when Google created their own social networkcalled Google +. Now they can use the data from Google + to add a human elementto their rankings
33. Author Rank as a Quality Signal Google is counting on AuthorRank to provide a reliable signal for predicting the quality of new content. After all, past performance is the best predictor of future performance. The ultimate goal is to have content written by authoritative authors’ rank better than content that is written by less authoritative authors. “We know that great content comes from great authors, and we’re looking closely at ways this markup could help us highlight authors and rank search results.” - Google Webmaster Central Bloghttp://bit.ly/l8k7eY
34. Possible Author Rank MetricsGoogle+ Participation – Level and type of activity could impact Author Rank. Post originalwork – not just re-shares. Like, comment & reply to comments. Do hangouts, Joincommunities, create and populate circlesInfluence — What’s the quality of your circles? Are you getting +1s, Likes and tweets?Average PageRank of your published contentCitations: Mentions on authoritative websites could send a quality signal to GoogleLinks: Lots of links to your content from unique domains could be used to gauge quality
35. Benefits of Author RankAuthors now get recognition & credit for being an authority in their field.Whether you are a mechanic, doctor, lawyer, dentist or architect, you want to beknown as THE expert in your field. Author Rank builds this authority with everygreat piece of content you create.In the past, creating great content was a benefit for the website or blog that itwas published on – thats where it ended. With authorship, not only will thatwebsite benefit, but you as an individual author will also benefit.Authorship provides portability of your expertise. If you leave an employer, youcan take it with you!
36. Moving from authorship to authority Its a gradual, organic process There are NO shortcuts
37. Write Useful Content Content that people ”need” to read and share.
38. Monitor your content’s performanceWhen you login to Googlewebmaster tools with theaccount associated withyour Google+ profile, youwill find search stats for allof the pages for which youare the verified author.It’ll show you which pagesare shown in the searchresults, how many times,how many clicks theyreceived, which CTR theresult has and the averageposition.
39. Identify Authors with Authority - Interact with opinion leaders Give them a reason to follow you – Boost your own Authority
40. Trace your posts with Ripples - See who’s sharingWhy use Google+ Ripples?Ripples visualizes sharing interaction data foryour posts over time. This makes it easy tofollow key influencers and learn what contentis most compelling to your audience. How to use Google+ Ripples Ripples provides a visual guide to who has publicly shared a post or URL and the comments they’ve made. Use it to spot trends and track the spread of posts over time, or see how a post was shared and in which languagesTry out Ripples: bit.ly/ZsqzKF
41. Author Rank TakeawayOnce you’ve established authorship, you need to start working on your authority. That starts withpublishing high quality, sharable content.Other ways to increase authority include:Getting published on authoritative websitesStimulating conversation about your posts on Google+Bringing your posts to the attention of other authoritative authorsInviting authoritative authors to publish on your siteIncreasing activity and connecting to authors on Google+The key to building Author rank lies in usage of Google+ and interacting with other sites andauthors.
42. Chuck Price Measurable SEO Chuck@MeasurableSEO.comhttp://www.measurableseo.com/smx-toronto-2013