Low Carb Diet and gastrointestinal
Reijo Laatikainen, Authorized Nutritionist, MBA
Low Carb Diet & _
Note. The figure bases on scarce RCT & epidemiological data and on theoretical models.
*) Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
• There is an urgent need to study the effects of low carbohydrate diet on
• Many RC trials have shown increased incidence of constipation
• Theoretically, incidence of diverticulosis might increase also
• IBS symptoms may be alleviated, especially in diarrhoea predominant IBS
• Theoretically, symptoms of dyspepsia may worsen due to high fat intake
• Theoretically, symptoms of GERD may worsen due to high fat intake.
However, one intervention trial showed opposite outcome
• High fat intake may increase risk of gallstone whereas low intake of fructose
may decrease it
• Effects on NAFLD are contradictory
• Effects on IBD are unexplored