Blanca de Castilla school
• The human activities generate excess
greenhouse gases like CO2 and CH4.
• As a result of the climate
change, the temperature has risen.
Consequently, the poles are thawing.
The alternative to the climate change must
include a sustainable development based on:
1. Responsible consumption of energy.
2. Use of renewable energy sources as opposed
to the non renewable: wind power.
3. The use of non renewable sources of energy
that generate less CO2: nuclear and biomass.
4. The effective responsible actions and
• To Reduce.
• To Recycle.
• To Re-use .
Responsible consumption: the
Local alternative: wind power in
• Castilla y León owns a great wind power.
• Burgos is the province in the community
with the biggest number of installed
installed in Spain
An example of wind power.
• We have visited a wind farm near Burgos to
get information for this project. We learnt
first-hand about the advantages and
disadvantages of the wind power.
• Clean energy.
• Quick installation.
• Long life.
• Generates stable
• Visual impact.
• Noise impact.
• Impact on the
• Nowadays, economic
ally, it depends on
• Although the nuclear power is not a clean
energy it´s one of the possible alternatives
because it generates a big amount of
energy and it doesn´t produce CO2.
However, it creates nuclear waste which is
harmful for your health.
• We´ve got a clear example of the nuclear
energy in “Santa Maria de Garoña”.
Other local alternative:
nuclear energy in Burgos
Santa María de Garoña
• It´s located in the valley of Tobalina
(Burgos) in a village called Garoña. It
was opened in 1970.
It´s the oldest active nuclear power
station in Spain.
It produces between 30–50 % of the
consumption in Castilla and León and
70% of the consumption in the province
of Burgos. It employs more than 1,500
workers directly and indirectly.
• While it has been operating, it has
had some mishaps, such as a local
fire, failure on system regulation in
cooling systems and other minor
incidents, all of them appeared in
• It is a clean source of
energy and avoids
thousands of tons of CO2
• It is economical.
• The relation between the
amount of fuel which is
used and the energy
which is obtained.
• It generates stable jobs.
• It creates nuclear
waste which remains
dangerous for a very
long period of time.
• Evident security
• If control systems
fail, there will be a
• The fossil fuels are the most currently used.
However, they produce the biggest amount of
CO2, which affects the climate change.
• This is the cheapest and the most
abundant fuel, but it´s also the
• No coalfields have been found in
• It is abundant fuel.
On the other hand, it
is polluting too and has
a very long formation
• An small oilfield
known as La Lora has
been found in our
province. It produces
a small amount of oil
and its exploitation
• It is the least abundant so it is the
most expensive. However, it is the
cleanest of all.
• It is not present in big quantities in
Burgos, neither does it generate jobs.
In addition, it has no great economic
• It is extracted from the deposits of La
Lora after the oil has been taken out.
• Despite being a fossil fuel, biomass is a
viable alternative to traditional fossil
fuels, due to the amount of plant matter
and forest crops, available in our
• In Burgos there are 5 projects of
biomass in rural and urban areas.
• In Burgos city we have got an example:
the plant “Biocom”.
• A wide range of courses are taught
here, including Nursery school, Primary
Education and High School.
• Where 1184 pupils study this year.
• Energy consumption covers the needs of
the school, but could be reduced by
adopting effective energy saving
• We made a compilation of year
expenditure data of the school on water,
oil and electricity.
oil: 29.500 €
Electricity: 12.400 €
water: 2.020 €
• We can see that the economic cost is
high and reflects the energy and
environmental trace of the installation.
As a result of that trace, our school has
become aware of the problem that our
planet is suffering and for this
reason, we have taken these steps…
All the bulbs in our school are low energy.
The taps and the showers have water
However this is not enough and…
Measures for the future:
• It has been suggested installing
solar panels to reduce utility
• Changing the windows for greater
insulation and heating savings
• We believe that climate
change, sooner or later, will change
our lives if we do nothing to delay it.
that it can
Daniel Benito Azofra
Sandra de Benito Septién
Marina Fernández de la Peña
Marta Fraile Arroyo
Adrián Gil Hernández
Sara González Moraza
Adrián Martínez Nuño
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.