What Is Plot
What is PLOT? Comp. II Notes
Plot can be
- Series of events in sequential or narrative order: cause and effect
- What happens first in the story?
- Is the first detail given the first detail in the narrative?
- What are other events in the story?
- Is cause and effect in a story
- Nothing is irrelevant or accidental;
- Everything is related and causative
Think of Conflict as…
- Controlling impulse in a connected pattern of causes and effects.
- Conflict causes characters to
Conflict can be…
How is External Conflict revealed?
- Anger, hatred, envy, argument, avoidance, gossip, lies, fighting, etc.
How is Internal Conflict Revealed?
- The doubt, the tension, thus creates the interest in the story.
Plot and conflict = good story
- Conflict—interest—What will happen to these people?
- Arrangement of the story and the purpose for that arrangement
Think of arrangement as …
- true and misleading conclusions,
- models such as reports, letters, conversation or confession.
Structure can be…
- Complication (Rising Action)
- Crisis (Climax/Turning Point)
- Main characters, their backgrounds, characteristics, interests, goals, limitations, potentials and basic assumptions are introduced.
- Exposition can be found at the beginning of the work or anywhere else.
- The development of the conflict
- Part of the action where conflict reaches its greatest tension.
- A decision or action to resolve the conflict is undertaken
- Curiosity, uncertainty and tension the greatest
- Consequence of the crisis
- Decision, action, affirmation or denial, illumination or realization
- No new major developments follow this
- Fragments of Conversation