1. Welcome to Art AppreciationArts 1301-65001Cristina MedinaProfessor of Visual Arts
2. GET TOGETHER Find at least 2 other people with samecolor clothing as you have on. Groups of at least 3 to 4 members There must be both genders in yourgroup.
3. Introductions Tell your group members, “I’m glad you’rehere!” Introduce Yourself, write your groupmembers’ names down Major and goals in life Each person must know the other’s nameand how to spell it Random selection
4. Expected Group Behaviors Help Others Learn Encourage Participation Listen with Care Participate Actively Observation by instructor The group is ready when everyone canpresent the material, random selection.
5. Each group will receive portions of thesyllabus Groups will work together to decideunder which category the portionbelongs to Tape the portion underneath the correctsection
6. Give your groupmembers a high-fiveand thank them fortheir cooperation andattention!!!!!!!
7. Art is not what you see, butwhat you make others see.-Edgar Degas
8. Chapter 1: A Human Phenomenon What is art? What are some ways to approach adefinition of art?
9. What is art? No one definition applies for all times andplaces. “Art is a primarily visual medium thatexpresses ideas about our humanexperience and the world around us.”-Lazzari and Schlesier, Exploring Art
10. →Assists in rituals→Reflects customs→Communicates→Helps us imaginethe divine→Commemorates the dead→Glorifies the state→Protests politicaland social→Celebrates warand conquest→Promotes cohesion→Records likenesses→Educates usFunctions of ArtFunctions of Art
11. What is artWhat is art for whomfor whom andandwhenwhen??→Art is whatever asociety or a culturesays is art.→Not a universal or fixeddefinition.→Fluctuates, becausecultures are alive andchanging.
13. CONTENT The art’s imagery It’s surroundings where it is used ordisplayed Its symbolic meaning The customs, beliefs, and values of theculture that uses it Text incorporated in work, or writingsabout work
14. What defines beauty…? Groups: work together to answer theabove question. WHO defines beauty?
15. Aesthetics: Art and Beauty→a branch of philosophydealing with art, its sources,forms, and effects.→goes beyond individual tastesor preferences.→is a critical reflection on art.→reflects the culture’spreferences.
16. Beauty Is Subjective• Subjective: full ofpersonal emotionsand feelings• Objective: free ofpersonal feelings oremotion; hence,without bias
17. Conventions of Beauty"Venus of Villendorf" 10.000-15.000 b.c.
18. The Artist’s Response to theWorldCREATING ART→Perception - focused and concentrated looking.→Response - reflects the artists’ responses to their lifeexperiences and the world around them.→Expression - art is the expression of the artist’sperception and response.
19. CATEGORIES OF VISUAL ARTS Fine art Popular culture Kitsch
20. STYLE CATEGORIES Naturalistic, Representational Idealized Abstract Expressive or expressionist Nonobjective Cultural style Artist Style
21. Naturalism Fully representational with specific details
22. Realism Representational but emphasizes theemotional not specific
23. Semi Abstraction Partly representational but simplified andrearranged.
24. Objective Abstraction Based on a physical object but simplifiedand rearranged so that it appearsnonobjective.
25. Non Objective Abstraction Started without any reference to aphysical object. Based on pure design.
26. Vincent Van GoghStarry NightSaint Remy, June 1889Oil on canvas, 29 x 36 1/4"
27. What affects your view of art? Gender Culture Nationality Geographic location Ethnicity Spiritual beliefs Socio-economic backgrd Political beliefs Personal experiences
28. How you respondto a work of arttellsmore about youthan it does aboutthe work of art.
29. Recap Definition of art Functions of art Beauty Aesthetics Categories of Style Artist Style: Van Gogh
30. Activity 1: A Human Phenomenon The goal: write about art, using terminology and conceptslearned from the chapter reading be able to connect the material from the readingto the video or article presented in the activitythat may be from an outside source Prepares you for future assignments.
31. Use Chapter 1 reading and vocabulary to helpconstruct the answer for this assignment. View the images and content on the followingwebsite,http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/ and answer in paragraph format the followingquestions: a. What is the function of this artwork? b. Describe the visual form. c. Describe the specific content of this artwork. d. Explain the style of art category it could fall under.
32. Wrap Up Thank your for being here. Questions? Thank your group members. See you next time!