1. THE LONG BIRTH OF THE HUMANITY beBefore the explanation:What is the different between Prehistory and History? What is the ORIGEN of the man? By: C. Belén Alarcón (email@example.com)
2. Prehistory is the period from the origin of the human being, about five million years ago, to the invention of writing about 5.000 years ago. There are several phases:1-The Palaeolithic Age extends fromthe appearance of our first ancestors toabout 10.000 years ago. Humanbeings used stone tools and lived onhunting and gathering.2-The Neolithic Age began about10.000 years ago when human groupsstarted to live in villages and practiceagriculture and cattle farming
3. beBefore the EXPLICACION:Do you know any Ancestor of man?Do you Know any invention of the Paleolithic age?Do you know where and who did invent the fire?
4. T he pr esent human being is the r esult of a long process known as Hominisation . The most important steps are:1. The Australopithecus appeared about five million years ago. They were very similar to chimpanzees.2. Homo Habilis appeared two million years ago. They made stone tools and lived on hunting and gathering.3. Homo Erectus appeared a million and a half years ago. they were similar to Homo Habilis, they had a bigger technological development. For example, they discovered fire.4. Homo Sapiens appeared 150.000 years ago. We have two kind of Homo sapiens, Neanderthal man and Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Cro-Magnon). EXERCISES 1. Which human beig is not in the picture? 2. Could you do a time line of the hominisation?
5. The first human beings: 1- AUSTROLOPITHECUSThe earliest hominids livedaround 5 million years ago inthe humid forests of easternand southern Africa. They usuallyThese animals, known as walked onAustralopithecus probably two feet.ate, fruits, and dead animals.There is no evidence thatAustralopithecus made their They were very similarown tools. There is however to chimpanzeesstrong evidence that theyused sticks and bones todefende, and to dig.
6. The first human beings: HOMO HABILIS 2- Homo habilis were the first hominids to create and use tools, so they were called “habilis”. These creatures lived in Africa from about 2million years ago. They lived from hutting and Homo Habilis had larger bodies, gathering. and bigger brains than the Austrolopitecus. The tools were a very important development. The hominids could build, hunt and made life easier for them.
7. The first human beings: 3-HOMO ERECTUS With the discovery of fire, Homo could cook their food, to stay warm in cold environments, and to utilize caves.They appeared 1.6 million years ago. Although they were similar DID YOU KNOW? to Homo Habilis, they had a better technological development. For example, they discovered fire.They was the The first simple languages first specie to live outside spoken by Homo erectus Africa. They lived in Europe and likely developed around Asia and remained active in 500,000 years ago. these areas until around 250,000 years ago.
8. The first human beings: 4. HOMO SAPIENS Homo Sapiens Sapiens The modern humans , you and I Neanderthals The first Homo sapiens was the first originated on the Earth Neanderthals. Neanderthal around 100.000 years ago in people appeared on the Earth Africa. around 200,000 years ago, in Africa. They migrated from Cro-Magnons( first Homo Africa to the Europe 150.000 Sapiens Sapiens) were taller than years ago. the Neanderthal, but too the Cro- Magnons were slimmer than Sapiens Neandertalis were Neandertales. stronger and shorter than we , A very important advantage is the Sapiens –Sapiens, are. They were the first species to than Homo Sapiens Sapiens bury their dead. ( Cromagon) had better technologies, languages and cultures than the Neanderthals. We, the Sapiens- Sapiens emigrated from Africa to the rest of continents
9. 1. Who was the first humans being?2. Is it the same Hominids as Humans being?3. Who was the first Hominids that used the tools? And, Who was the first Hominids that created the tools?4. And the fire?
10. 1. Write a time line about the hominisation. You can use the items: --Austrolpithecus -Homo Habilis -Homo Erectus -Homo Antecesor -Homo Neandertal -Homo Sapiens-Sapiens You can use the power points explanation and the picture 2. Extra task: if youpaint the hominids inthe time line You will get more mark .
11. HOMINIDS Main CharacteristicsAustrolopithecusHomo HabilisHomo ErectusHomoAntecessorHomo SapiensNeandertalHomo Sapiens-Sapiens
12. HOMINIDS When did Where did What did Who did they live? they live? they they eat? discovery? ( tools, fire, spoken)AustrolopithecusHomo HabilisHomo ErectusHomoAntecessorHomo SapiensNeandertalHomo Sapiens-Sapiens
13. Excalibur,was found in Atapuerca. Homo Antecessor Atapuerca family The Sierra de Atapuerca is in Burgos Province, just from 15 kilometers from Burgos city ( Spain). It is one of the most important archaeological places in the world. There are 1.5 millions year of human evolution .Sierra Atapuerca contains the HOMO ANTECESSOR, the first European, lived 800.000 Extra job. Look for years ago in Atapuerca. information about Atapuerca place.
14. The first humans( all the hominids) beings lived in caves, and spent their lives hunting and gathering in small groups. They hunted bears, elephants, mammouths, deers. They were nomadic. They moved from place to other looking for good areas with lots of animals and plants. They were organised on small tribes. In the Palaeolithic age men and women made tools and objects from stone. They used them to hunt and cut animals skins. They also used wood and bones to make harpoons, needles or lances. Besides With the discovery of fire, and the Language spoken . The Homos became more adept at survival. Fire allowed them to cook their food, to stay warm in cool environments, and to utilize caves. The languages was a big step. The Homos were more Humain beings. Needles and weapons
15. At the beginning, Cro-Magnon life was not all that different from the lives of earlier hominids. As food sources increased humans settlements became more permanent. Many groups began building homes. Smaller groups joined together forming big groups. All these groups developed rules or laws. These big groups had leaders . Sometimes leaders were selected fighting. In other cases they were selected according to religious beliefs or through inheritance
16. PALEOLITHIC ART (30.000-10.000B.C) At the beginning the Homo sapiens –sapiens painted in the caves. It was the beginning of the art THE FIRST PAINTINGS The characteristics of the first paintings are:1. -The animals like: Bison, horses, mammoths was painted. It had a magical sense .Animal painted, animal that could be hunted.2. -The colors were : ocher ( similar to red), black, brown.3. -The paintings were realistic.4. The most important paintings was found in Altamira ( Spain) and Lascaux ( France) The Altamira’ s cave is located near the town of Santillana del Mar in Cantabria, Spain. The cave has been declared a World Heritage Siteby UNESCO
17. These figures were the symbol of the fertility, so the sculpture was called VENUS These Venus were made from 3,0000 to 1,0000 years, aprox. These figurines is made by stone bone or ivory. They are the In total, there are a hundred of Venus. earliest works of prehistoric art Theses figurines are a size, between 4 cm and 25 cm .
18. Around 8.000 years ago the agriculture was discovered . It was the beginning of Neolithic Age and the finished of Neolithic Paleolithic time . peseants In the Paleolithic Age humans were hunting and gathering , a natural disaster had a devastating effect on the peoples. They can dead very easy . The animals domesticated were: In the Neolithic Age, Human beings Goats, sheep . learned how to domesticate animals Pigs, and chickens. and cultivate plants. Horses and dogs The plants cultivated were: wheat, rice, corn .
19. 2-Villages Develop : From nomadism to sedentar With farming and domesticated animals, life became easier for humans. The population quickly rose from around 2 million humans on the Earth, to more than 90 million. A tipical neolithic village People became sedentary and built villages, near to the rivers. Some of these ancient villages, such as Jericho, still survive to this day
20. 4-Technologies Advance Quickly People had more time to developed new technologies.1. The wheel help to Neolithic tools: transporter things. It was sinckle , axe very important. Could you imagine your life without wheels?2. The pottery: pot , clays3. More comfortable clothing, with wool.4. They made better utensils for farming with the Neolithic axe Polished stone. Utensils like: sinckle, hand mild
21. 5-Specialization of Labor In the Paleolithic Age the humans live in clans and they had to survive: hunting, gathering, making tools , but in the Neolithic Age societies became more complex and the individuals began to Specialized traders known as specialize in different merchants organized caravans types of jobs: artisan, that covered distances of priest, soldier or traders.thousands of miles, bringing the The socials division was goods and products of one created. society to trade them for goods At first trade was simple. and products from another Individuals traded amongst society. people of the same community But later It began the traders routes
22. The neolitic art was the art of the new sedentary people. It dates from 8000 BC to 1500 BC. La Menga cove in Antequera ( Spain) The most important representation will be the Menhirs,dolmen, cromlech… This monuments were tumbs, sacred places, Stongheans in United Kingdom
23. Vocabulary. Find the following words in their contextEnglish word Spanish word Word in contextThe long birth of El largo nacimientothe Humanity de la humanidadPhases Etapas fasesHuman beings Seres HumanosStone tools herramientas de piedraGathering RecolecciónHunting Caza ganadería granjacattle farming:Ancestor Antepasado
24. Vocabulary. Find the following words in their context Spanish word English word Word in context Sticks palos Bones Huesos To defender Defenderse Dig Cavar Appeared Aparecieron to come Venir de from walked on Andar sobre las dos two feet. piernas As food sources Como la cantidad de increased comida aumentó
25. Vocabulary. Find the following words in their contextEnglish word Spanish word Word in contextJoined UnirSacred places Lugares sagradosNomadic NómadaNeedles and Agujas y armasweaponsPolished Piedra pulimentadastoneTraders ComerciantesPottery Cerámica
26. Vocabulary. Find the following words in their context Spanish word English word Word in context wheat Trigo Rice Arroz Corn Maiz Goats Cabras Sheep Ovejas Sinckle Hoz Axe Hacha