1. TheRenaissance -WhaT Was iT? -iTalian vs. noRTheRn -aRTWoRk, eTc.
2. WhaT Was The Renaissance? • A period after the Middle Ages. • The start of the “modern world” • New interest in old stuff, like Greece & Rome • Changes in thought about art, religion, literature, education
3. WheRe did The Renaissance sTaRT?• Began in Italy• Later spread north to Germany and England• What was the difference between the Northern and Italian Renaissance…?
4. The iTalian Renaissance• They were interested in human achievement (instead of religious or spiritual achievement)• The figures in their artwork looked like Greek or Roman gods, i.e. perfect
5. The noRTheRn Renaissance • They were interested in the early Christian period. • The figures in their artwork were more realistic.
6. BoTh noRTheRn & iTalian Renaissance• Interested in Greek & Roman culture (“the classics”)• Use of perspective in paintings• Believed in humanism• Used critical method of study
7. WhaT’s humanism?• Hint: What word is inside the word?• Idea started in the Renaissance that people have value, worth.• MA: Only God can do good• Ren: Humans can do good• Liberal arts education (still here today)