Transcript of "Alignment for Engagement: Unifying Marketing & PR Departments for Content Marketing Success"
Alignment for Engagement: Unifying Marketing & PR Departments for Content Marketing Success Follow The Conversation On Twitter #PRNEDU
Today’s Presenters Michael Pranikoff Global Director, Emerging Media PR Newswire Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org @mpranikoff Arjun Basu Content Director Spafax @spafax_arun Kevin Alansky Vice President, Marketing Blackboard Inc. @alansky #PRNEDU
Agile Engagement is a Virtuous CycleWith each rotation, content produced becomes more relevantto your audience to increase engagement and amplify impact.
Alignment for engagement (or content needs to breathe)- Arjun Basu, Content Director, Spafax#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun email@example.com
• Content is not new. Even though we think it is.• Content marketing is nothing more than a form of storytelling• But the “new” content has been disruptive.• Content marketing has always been married to product• Content marketing is an investment in customer service#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun firstname.lastname@example.org
• Silos are the enemy of proper content marketing• All forms of silos are evil.• Silos = death• The first strategy is an internal one• Then you worry about the rest of the world#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun email@example.com
• Content without context is nothing.• Context + Strategy = Content• Content is an ecosystem• Do all the parts fit?• Who is doing what? Why? When?#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun firstname.lastname@example.org
• Content needs to be whole to make sense• Your customers are platform agnostic• Don’t get blinded by the disco balls• There is nothing more human than telling a story#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun email@example.com
• Quality is more important than quantity• Never forget that content marketing is a service• Educate, Inform, Entertain, Engage• Tell great stories#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun firstname.lastname@example.org
• There is no story without an audience• Content works because it’s human• Content builds connections• Content marketing is getting bigger and bigger#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun email@example.com
• How to contact me• firstname.lastname@example.org• @spafax_arjun• www.spafax.com• Thank you!#PRNEDU @spafax_arjun email@example.com
Right ContentRight PeopleRight Time “The problem is getting the right content to the right people, even while knowing that key decision- makers are not an easy audience to reach. Producing smart, highly targeted and truly innovative content can be really challenging” B2B Content Marketing: 2010 Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends MarketingProfs/Junta42
Let’s Face It, Our Marketing Has Become Just Noise
We Need To Change!Shifting from “Push” to “Pull”• Our company culture• Resources and staffing• Budgets• Service provider relationships• Training• Adopt as a company strategy vs. sales tools• Integration #PRNEDU
Three Types of Content Marketing1. Entertains2. Informs and Educates3. Provides Utility 20
Extra Credits Video Series• Ask a series of questions on key themes to: – Key audiences (clients) – Internal stakeholders – Industry leaders
Everyone Needs to be ALL in! Product Marketing Brand Team Persona’s creation Setting strategy and vision Top level messaging for top level theme connected to product use Incorporating that cases and rationale of new message and leading product features training of the message PR/Comm Vertical Teams Incorporating top level Leveraging top level theme into PR activities themes including contributed articles Connect market pains with target audience Internal communication of top level message Campaign execution Web Team Bb Social Team Further development of SEO developmentDevelopment of web copy that supports top level Content top level message, ex: “Active Learner” Execution in social message Strategy channels
Think Like a PublisherAn editorial calendar will help you:• Look at the BIG picture• Plan your workload.• Create a “production style” mindset• Deliver higher quality content• Focus on writing KILLER headlines• Build greater awareness of your key messages• Repurpose content you already have
Create an Editorial Calendar The editorial calendar should address the questions: how much content, how often, and specifically when it will publish. It includes content requirements, responsibilities 27 and a schedule.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle PowerPoint Video Deck on Speech on Slideshare YouTube Create a Transcribe Webinar or Training Speech for Blog Post Turn Into a Extract Whitepaper, eBook or Charts and Column Infographics 28#PRNEDU
SEO NOW! SEO Traffic: the number of AdWords CPC: the cost-per- clicks expected per day in click for using the keyword the number 1 position in in a paid search advertising Google. campaign. SEO Traffic SEO Traffic SEO Traffic Adwords CPC Adwords CPC Adwords RankingKeyword SEO Comp (Broad) (Phrase) (Exact) (Broad) (Phrase) CPC (Exact) Opportunity Costcollaborative learning 684 457 112 1520000 ? 1.09 ? $14,944learning management systems 684 112 33 761000 4.1 5.14 7.59 $17,270learning management 4156 835 12 3220000 2.28 4.1 1.4 $102,705knowledge management system 559 250 91 290000 1.71 2.7 2.74 $20,250virtual learning 684 457 33 Your Web team will work with 2100000 3.01 2.42 2.61 $33,178education management 56476 374 33 you to generate 1.41 robust and 1880000 1.91 a 1.25 $15,820blended learning 684 559 204 comprehensive keyword list. 1590000 1.68 1.27 1.1 $21,298social learning 2775 1519 75 2330000 1.25 1.25 1.01 $56,963school management system 684 374 75 524000 1.43 1.05 1.04 $11,781student management system 250 137 26 241000 1.35 0.99 0.97 $4,069learning platform 1022 835 91 1700000 1.21 0.96 1.15 $24,048 SEO Competition: the Ranking Opportunity Cost: number of pages that exist calculated value of ranking in Google index containing using CPC data. the target keyword.
Summary• Content initiatives are a significant investment.• Rebalancing requires departmental integration and cultural shifts.• Content and advertising should be interrelated.• Marketers are distracted by new channels and technologies.• Over the next five years, content marketing will permeate the organization. 30
Connect With Me Thank you!Kevin@Alansky.comBlog: www.marketingfinds.comTwitter: @alansky
Thanks for viewing! Michael Pranikoff Global Director, Emerging Media PR Newswire Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org @mpranikoff Download Today – http://bit.ly/6StepWebinar Arjun Basu Content Director Spafax @spafax_arun Kevin Alansky Vice President, Marketing Blackboard Inc. @alansky #PRNEDU