As used in this policy, the terms ?using? and ?processing? information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to, collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally. As used in this policy, terms such as ?we? and ?our? refer to SlideShare LLC as well as its affiliates, including LinkedIn Corporation and LinkedIn Ireland Limited.
- Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site, services, features and content, to administer User accounts (?Accounts?) (together, the ?Service?) and to enable Visitors to enjoy and easily navigate the Site.
- Personally Identifiable Information
- When you register with us through the Site, or when you choose to add information to your profile or elect to submit your personal information to third parties through the Site and the Services, we will ask you for personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you (?Personal Information?). Personal Information may include, but is not limited to, your name, email address, home address, phone number and certain information related to your social networks, including login credentials. If you apply for a ?Business Account?, we may also ask for your payment information and information related to your business, such as address, phone number, and other relevant details. We use your Personal Information mainly to provide the Service and administer your inquiries and requests.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of registration and the administration and personalization of your profile page (e.g., without limitation, zip code (on its own) and individual preferences) or in connection with your usage of the Service (e.g., without limitation, liking certain content and following certain Users) (?Non-Identifying Information?).
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the Service and administer your inquiries and requests.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from others who use SlideShare to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to personalize the content (including sponsored content) offering, to improve the quality and value of the Service and to analyze and understand how our Site and Service are used. We may also use the combined information without aggregating it to serve you specifically, for instance to deliver a product to you according to your preferences or restrictions.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with SlideShare marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or update your ?member preferences? information. (See ?Changing or Deleting Information,? below.)
- If you apply to join the SlideShare team, you may provide Personal Information through an online form that may be maintained for us by a third party service provider noted on such form (e.g. Wufoo) in accordance with their online terms and policies, solely for the purpose of processing such application.
- When you visit the Site, whether as a registered SlideShare user (a ?User?) or a non-registered visitor just browsing (any of these, a ?Visitor?), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (?Log Data?). This Log Data may include information such as your computer?s Internet Protocol (?IP?) address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, content and pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages and content, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Service and for the Site?s technical administration, to increase our Site?s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors? needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the Site again, it will recognize you and serve information appropriate to your interests. We also use this information to verify that Visitors to the Site meet the criteria required to process their requests. We do not treat Log Data as Personal Information or use it in association with other Personal Information, though we may aggregate, analyze and evaluate such information for the same purposes as stated above regarding other Non-Identifying Information.
Web Beacons / Gifs
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- We employ and our third party advertising partners employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Specifically, clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, which we use in combination with cookies to measure the number of unique views of content and depth of interaction with content (e.g. how many slides were viewed and time spent per slide), on this Site or other sites where content from SlideShare is embedded. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user?s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to your Personal Information.
- We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our email communications, including campaigns. If you would like to opt-out of these emails, you may do so by clicking the unsubscription link at the bottom of the email.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information
- We may offer you the option to log into your SlideShare Account with your credentials from social networks such as LinkedIn or Facebook, bind your respective existing accounts or co-register with SlideShare and LinkedIn at the same time. This enables the publication to your streams on such social networks, in accordance with your applicable Account settings (which you may change at any time) and the privacy policies of the respective social networks (which may collect Log Data and set a cookie to provide this feature), of the content you upload to this Site and your social actions (e.g. your likes and comments on this Site). This also enables us to show you updates regarding content-related actions (e.g. postings, likes, comments) by Users with which you are connected on the respective networks. Such connected Users will also be able to see updates regarding your own such activity. We may also use Log Data and other Non-Identifying Information to further personalize your experience and the experiences of others on this Site and on LinkedIn, e.g. to display more relevant, customized content (which may include sponsored content) both on your SlideShare newsfeed and on LinkedIn (including Pulse), whether or not you bound the respective accounts.
- We may share aggregated information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and to deliver targeted advertising and information about other products and services. If you wish to not receive targeted ads, you may opt-out by, as applicable, clicking on the AdChoice icon or ?Ads by LinkedIn? link in or next to the ad or by visiting http://preferences-mgr.truste.com/ or http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
- We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service, to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the Site?s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and Service are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- SlideShare cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of SlideShare or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Links to Other Sites
- SlideShare may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
- Our Site and Service, as well as the third party material displayed on our Site and through our Service (the ?Submissions?), contain links to, and may allow you to visit, other websites (?Third Party Sites?). If you choose to visit any of these Third Party Sites by ?clicking on? another third party link or navigating to a Third Party Site, you will be directed to that third party?s website. The fact that we link to a website, either through the Site or a Submission, or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement or offer you the opportunity to interact with, or submit information to, a third party, is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites or their use of any information, including but not limited to your Personal Information, which you choose to submit to them or have us transmit on your behalf. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
- All registered Users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile, as well as control the public visibility of certain Personal Information such as street address and phone number, by accessing their Account settings page. If you completely delete all such information, then your Account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your record in our system or remove a particular comment you have made on the Site (whether on a User?s presentation, a blog entry or otherwise), please contact us via the contact information below and we will attempt to accommodate your request if we do not have any legal obligation to retain the record. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days.
- We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- SlideShare is very concerned with safeguarding your information. We employ administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. When you enter sensitive payment information on our forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
- We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored ?personal data? (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Our Policy Toward Children
- SlideShare and the Site are not directed to members under 18. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
TRUSTe and Safe Harbor
- Identity theft and the practice currently known as ?phishing? are of great concern to SlideShare. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your Account ID, login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission?s website.
- U.S.?E.U. and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor
SlideShare complies with the U.S. ? E.U. and U.S. - Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from the European Union member countries. SlideShare has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view LinkedIn?s certification (to which this Site was added as an update), please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.