1. 1 | P a g eBSMH 5013Human Resource ManagementWebsite ReviewWWW.SHRM.ORGBy814284 - PRIDHIVRAJ NAIDU24thMarch 2013
2. 2 | P a g e1. IntroductionThe Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest associationdevoted to human resource management. Representing more than 260,000 members in over 140countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HRprofession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the UnitedStates and subsidiary offices in China, India and United Arab Emirates (www.shrm.org)In today’s knowledge based global economy, online communication is increasingly valued byorganizations as a way to efficiently respond to dynamic competitive markets (Fujimoto, Bahfen,Fermelis and Hartel, 2007, pg.7) In this context of information sharing and having a continuesplatform to communicate the changes and development in any industry is a must for the increasein productivity.2. InteractiveThe SHRM website has an interactive feature to it, as featured in the main page – HR answersself explains its objective. This interactive tool allows HR practitioners to further theirunderstanding and to discuss in detail special cases in need of HR attention. As mentionedexplained in the sections introduction, as a SHRM member, you may call, e-mail or chat livewith a member of our staff of experienced, certified HR professionals. For self-service, check outour Express Requests that allow members to request and receive via email information on a widevariety of HR topics – virtually instantly. Or, browse hundreds of HR Q&As, all availablethrough this section of SHRMs website (www.shrm.org)
3. 3 | P a g eUnder the link there are sections to serve specific needs of the members, namely Express request,and HR Q&A’s. These specific links allow members to choose as per needs, providing a vastarea of assistance.3. PresentationThe website is user friendly, and has a very simple but specific presentation of the materials itoffers. The links provided are as per below: HR Topics and Strategy Legal Issues and Public Policy Templates and Samples HR Standards & Competencies Research and Metric’s Education and Certificate Conference Publications Communities HR Answers (www.shrm.org)
4. 4 | P a g eThe breakdowns on the materials are very much specific as in for Professional HR practitioners, links on LegalIssues & Public policies and HR standards & Competencies sets a benchmark in the industry forming the bestpractice lines.4. Target AudienceFrom the previous lineage on the presentation of the website itself we can see the target of audience the websitecaters for, HR professional practitioners, Students, HR managers and employees looking to know on thepractices pertaining HR management.From this website also we can see the specific target of audience – North American continent or specifically thewebsite caters information on HR related issues in The United States. SHRM provides localized solutions andideas based on the SHRM chapters operating in each state of the US.5. Registration & membershipThe membership for the website allows access to all the materials and details provided by the website. For themembership the packages are different for members from the United States and memberships from othercountries.As per the image below, membership from the United States are offered two packages, the students package(USD35.00) and professional package (USD180.00).
5. 5 | P a g eWhere else for memberships from overseas the SHRM team offers an internet only package, which excludes theprinted edition of SHRM magazine. This package costs USD95.00, the other two packages namely studentspackage and professional packages are also offered for the members to choose from.6. ConclusionSHRM website is well-planned and complete information’s sources for any person involved or interested toknow matters regarding the HRM industry and practices. SHRM contains wide range of materials from its vastnetwork from various part of the world. Even though the membership is upon payment, the packages offered arekeen to provide according to the needs of the members.
6. 6 | P a g eReferencesAbout the Society for Human Resource Management, Retrieved fromhttp://www.shrm.org/about/pages/default.aspx on 19/03/2013Fujimoto,Y., Bahfen.N., Fermelis.J.,Hartel.C.E.J.,(2007) The Global Village: Online crosscultural communication and HRM, Emerald Group Publishing Limited Vol. 14 No. 1, pp. 7-22