• A dramatic history of Pu Yi, the last of the
Emperors of China.
• From his noble birth and short command in the
Forbidden City, worshiped by half a billion
people, through his retirement, and his declined
• He then was taken advantage by the invading
Japanese, and finally to his existence as just
another peasant worker in the People's Republic
• Born in 7 February 1906, Manchukuo.
• Became the 12th emperor in December 1908
when he was 2 years and 10 months old, chosen
by grandmother, Empress Cixi on her deathbed
• Thinks he can do whatever he wants because he’s
the emperor. But powerless outside of palace.
• Emperor to Citizen
• Passed away in 17 October 1967
Story about Pu Jie
Pujie is the youngest brother of
he was brought be a playmate
and classmate to his brother Puyi
when he was kid
in 1962, Pujie was sent to Japan
Pujie marriage with a Japanese
In 1945, Manchukuo is collapse
and get caught by Soviet Red
army ,Russia army with his
brother puyi and other relatives.
• Even though he stayed in China for a
period of time, he still practices certain
western culture such as wearing a tux
and playing a tennis game.
• Later then, the emperor awarded him with the
imperial hat along with his own man-power
• After staying 28 years at China, Johnston
finally left the Emperor and went to London.
Teacher in the jail
•Good teacher who teaches Pu Yi without taking advantage
•Pu Yi is released after ten years of detention because this
guy had totally made Pu Yi genuinely reformed. (Pu Yi had
Get caught by people of
•Pu Yi speaks to one of the young men that
this must be a mistake for this man is a good
•Pu Yi finally gives up his attempt to save the
Governor, seeing it is useless to talk to these
• Emperor since young, thinks that he is powerful.
• When young, life is controlled by the authorities inside the
• Stepmother sent away to promote a more “healthful”
• Unable to leave the palace, palace door guarded by soldiers.
• Cannot wear spectacles because of the authorities
• Cannot know about happenings outside of the
• Cannot marry whoever he wants
• Outside of palace controlled by republican of China
Kicked out of palace by the republican of China
Joined Japanese embassy
Second wife demanded divorce, succeeded
Tried to reign Manchukuo again as emperor
Taken advantage by the invading Japanese
His opinions does not matter
Unable to satisfy wife’s needs
Driver impregnates wife
• Unable to make his own choices, sign everything the
• Baby gets murdered upon delivered by fatal injection
• Wife gets sent away for “health” reasons
• Gets into jail because of joining Japanese
• He the Emperor’s tutor since Emperor is 15
• Since he became his tutor, he introduced
various kind of western culture to Pu Yi.
• One of the first kind of the western culture Pu
Yi learned is that Scottish people wears Quilt
but not a skirt.
• Later on, Johnston also introduced Pu Yi to
• Johnston is also the one who realized Pu Yi
was having problems with his eye sight thus
he suggested to His Majesty to wear
spectacles, which is not a culture in China.
• One of the scene before the Manchurian takes
over the imperial palace, Emperor and his
mistress are playing Tennis while Johnston is
the judge for that game.
• After Johnston left China, It’s clearly shown that
Pu Yi is much influenced by Johnston because
he’s much into Western-made products
compared to any other.
• Pu Yi willing to spend most of his fortune on
those western-made product such as piano,
wrigleys chewing gum and etc.
• In the movie, Pu Yi even said “Anything that made
from western is good.”