What is Good Journalism? Pramit Singh Founder, Bighow.com World’s Best Tool For Local Journalism
- A good newspaper, I suppose, is a nation talking to itself.
Truth over everything else
- Sometimes good journalism is bad public relations.
- If the newspapers of a country are filled with good news, the jails of that country will be filled with good people.
Ask and you shall…
- There aren't any embarrassing questions - only embarrassing answers.
Doubt is Good
- Journalists aren't supposed to praise things.
- It's a violation of work rules almost as serious as buying drinks with our own money or absolving the CIA of something.
- The secret of successful journalism is to make your readers so angry they will write half your paper for you.
Go after the unusual
- When a dog bites a man that is not news, but when a man bites a dog that is news.
Make sense out of nonsense
- In the real world, the right thing never happens in the right place and the right time. It is the job of journalists and historians to make it appear that it has.
You are doing it for the world
- When I’m Reporting, I am a Citizen of the World.
It will never be enough
- Remember, son, many a good story has been ruined by over-verification.
Show, don’t tell
- A news story should be like a mini skirt on a pretty woman. Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting.
- - Anonymous, linked to a Texas newspaper editor
- [In Katrina, CNN] learned from Jon Stewart how to use simple juxtaposition to make a point, ... Clip of a federal official explaining how no one anticipated the strength of the storm.
- Clip from the Weather Channel proving plenty of people did.
- If Your Mother Says She Loves You,
Be Original, Be Yourself
- A journal should be neither an echo nor a pander.
Get it right
- In journalism, there has always been a tension between getting it first and getting it right.
Work up the people
- The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.
- Nikolai Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Use your power wisely
- Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets.
- Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description.
- I always turn to the sports section first. The sports section records people's accomplishments; the front page nothing but man's failures.
- Earl Warren, quoted in Sports Illustrated, 22 July 1968
Focus on why and how
- Trying to determine what is going on in the world by reading newspapers is like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand of a clock.
Less noise, more signal
- Comment is free, but facts are sacred.
- - C.P. Scott, in the Manchester Guardian