Set Our Trees Free
- 68 views
The Secretariat Arc walk that took place on 18th morning revealed to the participants the various ways in which the trees are being treated once they overcome the challenges of rooting and growing in …
The Secretariat Arc walk that took place on 18th morning revealed to the participants the various ways in which the trees are being treated once they overcome the challenges of rooting and growing in the harsh city atmosphere. The trees along the Press Club road planted and obviously nurtured with care are now choking within the same tree guards meant to protect them. The walk SET OUR TREES FREE was conceived with the idea of liberating the trees from the metal wires and rubbish that have been hampering their growth.
But on closer study we understood that not only is it tough to remove the ring and wires of the tree guard from the trees but the disposal of the waste would also be problem.It was decided that we walk along the route starting from Cantonment Police Station and identify the main issues and problems that can be corrected and solved by intervention and positive interference.
The small but efficient group of 15 including 4-5 young participants did a meticulous walk observing the route focusing on
1. Identifying the trees whose tree guards need to be removed immediately
2. Locating the areas in the route where more planting can be done especially with small trees or shrubs
3. Removal of flex boards and plastic signs and advertisements nailed or fixed on to trees
4. Removal of garbage and disposal of garbage especially dumped in the tree guard spaces.
5. Removal of the huge waste dump often burning diagonally opposite to the SMSM Institute
6. Identifying compounds or spaces within which tree cover can be increased so that shade on the roads will increase.
7.Declare the prestigious space around the Secretariat as Plastic- Flex free with more greenery and providing disposal bins and strategy for collection .
The problems and issues have been documented by photographs .It was decided to prepare a detailed document highlighting the above issues and submitted to the concerned authorities with a request to involve citizen’s groups in the city in the process.
(Prepared by Anitha.S with photos from Veena.M)