1. ISSUE : 32 VOLUME : 31 7-3-2012 PAGES - 4 C E L E B R A T I O N S Chief Guest For THE Day Rtn. T. K. Chitta Ranjan Rtn T.K. Chitta Ranjan is a Rotarian since 1994, son of Past president of Rotary Mysore, Late T.V. Krishnarao and Smt. Vimala Rao, an active member of Inner Wheel club of Mysore. Presently he is the president of Rotary Mysore. Rtn T.K. Chitta Ranjan is an Engineering graduate from the National Institute of Engineering, Mysore. After completion of engineering served as faculty of the same college for three years before Starting own business in Automobiles , which is now over 25 years old. He was also running an ancillary unit for B E M L, catering to the fabrication of body parts of earth moving equipment for around 5 years. Presently he is the Director of National institute of Engineering He is an Active Member of Alert Citizen Team which promotes communal harmony through better understanding and empowering unemployed youth. He is married to Swarna Chittaranjan a teacher by profession, and the present Chairperson for Inner Wheel Dist. 318. The couple is blessed with two sons. Sandeep an engineer working as Quality Assurance manager in Temp steel, Chennai and he is married to Ranjani who is a Clinical Psychologist and second son Gokul is pursuing his doctorate in Social Networking. Hearty Welcome to Rtn. Chitta Ranjan
2. 7-3-2012 Presidents MessageMy Dear Rotarians, Last week we had a Business Meeting where we deliberated lot of things and theattendance was excellent. Today it’s time to celebrate our Clubs Charter Anniversary.Our Charter Members & Past Presidents have left no stone unturned to make this Club avibrant, successful & glorious club. So let us join together and celebrate our Pride RotaryMysore Mid Towns Birthday. Let us salute our Charter Members & Past Presidents forgiving us a Great Club.Bye till next week…..Thank You Rtn. Raghavendra ……….Looking back Its a great honor to write about midtown a cornea transplant to alooking back 31 years especially for one who has young girl Basamma fromput in 25 yrs in the club. With the challenges Salihundi. The girl got herencountered over the years the easiest one eye sight, even garlandedcould do is definitely point fingers, but then the late Ramesh Pai andwhen one looks at the term volunteer and our later lost the eye due toclub as a service club anything that has improper medical attentionhappened can be just forgotten. given by her father. This girl Moving forward what made one stay in the is presently in the Rangaclub for 25 years, the only answer would be a Rao institute for the blind.selfish one and that would be leadership Project-a-week was a midtown id anddevelopment and happiness through friendship everyone participated on their own terms.and fellowship. Picnics were great fun, in some members were In 1986, participation and attendance was inducted and in one GSE leader PP Kanakarajmuch better. One remembers the star night served some special beverage from Mexico.programme in the open air theater where 62 of Matching grants in rotary was introduced inthe 63 Rotarians attended. (We still do not 1965, but our club got the first one only inhave a 100% group photograph of our club 1996. After that it has been a continuousmembers). All projects at villages were more effort and club has done many MGpicnic-like and fun. The many water supply programmes. Almost all the grants of the clubprojects done in more than 5 villages had very has been through PG. Jim Freeman from districtgood participation from members and village 5490.folk. One remembers the many independence- The district and members have been veryday programmes at villages and schools where generous supporting the grants and the rotarywe had the best of speeches by our own foundation. Two grants given to private peopleRotarians. The mega eye operations, the family became big failures and even today causesplanning operations for both men and women in embarrassment.K.R. hospital where over 475 operations were Over the years more than 176 membersdone are indeed memorable. New members were have left our club, maybe a bit negative but theypushed to chairmanship in the very first year have their own reasons. One thing is certain;with almost everybody on some committee or nobody leaves the club because of thethe other. Conferences and assemblies were organization called rotary, but because of onlygreat fun with excellent participation. personal reasons. Ironically the busiest persons Whats happened now? Was it that we were are having 100% home club attendance.young, fellowship was better and rotary was Thanks to Rtn. Dr. Prahlad.economical that things happened. (We had The many bus-stops we built, the waterjamuns and dosa for fellowship at Rs. projects, the healthy-baby shows, school2.50/plate from Chandru). One cannot get an support systems, health-care projects, theeasy answer. Maybe projects were not that many matching grant projects and all othermany and rotary did not have this 23 + works go into oblivion, looking at the rotarycommittees. We did have a great fund raising midtown academy school we have put in place.programme in the early days but did not use the This definitely is a worthy legacy with our deeperfunds raised effectively, maybe? print. One of the best projects we did was arranging Long live midtown. – Ramki
3. MIDTOWN - DOWN THE TIME LINERtn. Dr. SEETHARAMAIAH Rtn. A.R. SUBRAMANYARAJE URS Rtn. N. MADHWA RAO Rtn. DR. S. R. KANAKARAJ Rtn. Dr. K.S. SHASTRI 1980-1982 1982-1983 1983-1984 1984 -1985 1985-1986 WORLD UNDERSTANDING MANKIND IS ONE-BUILD BRIDGES OF SHARE ROTARY SERVE PEOPLE DISCOVER A NEW WORLD YOU ARE THE KEYAND PEACE THROUGH ROTARY FRIENDSHIP THROUGHOUT THE WORLD OF SERVICE Rtn. S.A. IMTHIAZ Rtn. DR. R.M. SHASTRI Rtn. S. K. NATARAJ Rtn. O. PRATAPKUMAR Rtn. Dr. N.M. CAVERIAPPA 1986-1987 1987-1988 1988-1989 1989-1990 1990-1991 ROTARY BRINGS HOPE ROTARANS-UNITED IN SERVICE, PUT LIFE INTO ENJOY ROTARY HONOUR ROTARY WITH DEDICATED TO PEACE ROTARY-YOUR LIFE FAITH AND ENTHUSIASMRtn. Dr. B.R. SURESHCHANDRA Rtn. M.S. RAGHU Rtn. K.B. RAMPRAKASH Rtn. D. SRINATH Rtn. P.K. RAMAKRISHNA 1991 -1992 1992-1993 1993-1994 1994-1995 1995-1996 LOOK BEYOND YOUR SELF REAL HAPPINESS DELIEVE IN WHAT YOU DO, BE A FRIEND ACT WITH INTEGRITY, SERVE WITH IS HELPING OTHERS DO WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN LOVE, WORK FOR PEACE Reach Within to Embrace Humanity
4. MIDTOWN - DOWN THE TIME LINE Rtn. SIRAJ ASGAR ALI Rtn. C.M. SUBRAMANIAN Rtn. P.S. BALAKRISHANAN Rtn. S. PRAKASH Rtn. FERNANDEZ SEM 1996-1997 1997-1998 1998-1999 1999-2000 2000-2001 BUILD THE FUTURE SHOW ROTARY CARES FOLLOW YOUR ACT WITH CONSISTENCY CREATE AWARENESS, WITH ACTION & VISION ROTARY DREAM CREDIBILITY & CONTINUITY TAKE ACTION Rtn. SALIL KUMAR DAS Rtn. MSA KHURAISHI Rtn. M.S. NANDAKUMAR Rtn. A.R. ALAGAPPAN Rtn. M. AZEEZULLA 2001-2002 2002-2003 2003-2004 2004-2005 2005-2006 MANKIND OF OUR BUSINESS SOW THE SEEDS OF LOVE LEND A HAND CELEBRATE ROTARY SERVICE ABOVE SELFRtn. Dr. M.N. BHEEMESH Rtn. R. SUNDARA RAJA RAO Rtn. SANJAY SHAMANUR Rtn. PHF. SRINIVASAN K.N. Rtn. PHF. MAHESH V. MURTHY 2006-2007 2007-2008 2007-2008 2009-2010 2010-2011 LEAD THE WAY ROTARY SHARES MAKE DREAMS REAL THE FUTURE OF ROTARY BUILDING COMMUNITIES IS IN YOUR HANDS BRIDGING CONTINENTS Reach Within to Embrace Humanity
5. 3 7-3-2012 Welcome to the Jim Freeman - Guest of New Members Honour for Charter Nite Jim freeman is a past Dr. S. M. RAVINDRANATH governor from R I district 5490, Dob : 14th May 1956 Arizona USA. Jim joined rotary in 1974 and was the president Married to Anupama –Clinical Psychologist of Rotary club of Miami in the and Counselor. One son Ajay....Working in year 1978-79. Was the district Australia as Microelectronics Eng governor in the year 1990- Qualifications: MS(General surgery), 91.Team leader to India district FRCS (Eire) FRCS (Glasg) 3240 in 92-93. 93-96 was the Senior Consultant : Laparoscopic and GI DRFC. 95 & 98 was the C O L Surgeon, Apollo BGS Hospitals. leader of the district. 2003-06 National Executive Committee Member - Indian Association was the district grants subcommittee chair. Was of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, awarded the meritorious service award in 1995, President, Surgical Society of Mysore & Association of service above self award in 2000 and the Rotary Surgeons of India (Mysore Chapter) foundation distinguished service award. Presently Jim is a member of Rotary club of Chandler-Horizon district 5510. Mr. VINOD MAROLI Was born in 1938 and worked in the us army for Dear Friends, The Famous Novelist Kahlil 6 years. Worked with the then largest retail chain J Gibran once said that “The significance of a C Penny for 18 years. Worked with the salvation man is not in what he attains, but rather in what army and with an airline company. Presently he longs to attain.” retired. Today, we are indeed lucky to have amidst Married to Ann Marie for the last 49 years they us, a thorough gentleman, who is striving hard have a son and grand children. to provide green energy solution so that the Jims passion is working with TRF and doing future generation gets a clean and healthy matching grants all around the world. Our district environment to survive. It is none other than our GSE visited his district 5490 in the year 1989 and inductee into Rotary Midtown Mr. Vinod Maroli. He is the owner of since then has done over 20 matching grants with Venus Gas Services which is amongst the two Indane gas our district. The most recent one which has been distributorships inaugurated on 29th of April 1972 by the Then received this year is Mysore midtowns mobile ventilator costing $40000. Maharani of Mysore Smt. Tripura Sundarammani Devi. Today, Venus Gas services liquidates on an average 350 Metric tons of LPG each month to 25,000 house holds and to 400 commercial and industrial consumers on time every time. Happy Birthday Vinod did his schooling from The Bangalore Military School and he graduated in commerce from Banumiahs College Mysore. A Keen Sportsman, he has played basketball for India under 14 and was also when he was only 15, he was part of the Indian school boys boxing contingent that visited Sri Lanka. Amongst other things, Mr. Vinod started the first pub outside Bangalore called The Royal Legacy in Mysore. A place that featured in Namaste India (A Star TV program) as a must visit Rtn. Dr. K. A. Prahlad Rtn. Abdul Wajid Khan Suryani place in Mysore! 8-03-2012 (Mobile: 9845175006) 11-03-2012 (Mobile : 9845488473) If not for gas, Vinod would have been a pilot in the Indian Air Force. Intellectual Company, gardening and Driving stimulates him and he has a burning desire to Drive to London one day. Wedding Vinod and his wife Nitha Maroli are blessed with three lovely Anniversary children Divisha, Abhishek and Nakuldev and he has 3 pet dogs Rtn.PHF. Yuvaraj, Shane Warne and Mothi. N. Narendra Babu Come on Midtowners, let us all welcome Vinod into our fold & Mythili M.V. and wish him a long and fruitful association with the club. 10-3-2012 Cell : 9945660084
6. Dear friends, today isMidtowns birthday. Its India is no longer polio endemicgreat feeling celebrating32nd birthday of this youngand vibrant club. Justlooking at the compositionof the club – many of thecharter members of theclub are still very much young andkicking in the club-see Rtn. Raghu,Balu… and Rotarians who have spent15-20 years in the club Ramki, Nandoo,Alagappan, Bheemesh, Azeezulla…are the guiding force behind the club.And we have the talented andexperienced of the club spearheaded The World Health Organization has officially removedby Bhanu, Vishwa, Venky, Harish are India from the list of polio-endemic countries. Ghulam Nabi Azad, Indias minister of Health and Family Welfare, made thewaiting in the wings to lead the club to announcement at the Polio Summit 2012 in New Delhi on 25the future. Further we have whole lot of February. Azad said that he had been informed of WHOsyoungsters who when their turn comes action by its director-general, Dr. Margaret Chan.will definitely take club to newer heights. "It is a matter of satisfaction that we have completed oneSo friends rest assured, Midtown has a year without any single new case of polio being reported frombright and secure future. anywhere in the country," said Indian Prime Minister I have Ramki sharing his random Manmohan Singh at the summit, which was organized by the government of India and Rotary International. "This gives usthoughts over the club in this edition. hope that we can finally eradicate polio not only from India butRamki, being a passionate Rotarian, from the face of the entire mother earth. The success of ourhaving seen closely the midtown over efforts shows that teamwork pays."so many years, is the right person to Indias last reported case was a two-year-old girl in Westtake stock of clubs performance at this Bengal State on 13 January 2011. Before polio eradication canjuncutre and guide it to the future. One be certified in India, it must go two more years without another case of the disease. Polio remains endemic in only threeperson whom we all look for as a role countries: Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan.model in rotary is Ramki and he has Bivalent oral vaccinebeen like that for many years am sure Until 2009, India accounted for nearly half the number ofwill continue like that for years to come. the worlds polio cases. A chief factor in the countrys success Then we have PG Jim Freeman has been the widespread use of the bivalent oral polio vaccine,from rotary club of Chandlier Horizon a which is effective against both remaining types of theclose pal of Ramki and Midtown gracing poliovirus. Another has been rigorous monitoring, which has helped reduce the number of children missed by healthtodays function as the Guest of honour workers during National Immunization Days to less than 1and its a great honour for all of us. Jim percent, according to WHO.has been instrumental in many of the Rotary International has played a major role in helping tomatching grants of the club. And what stop the transmission of polio in India. Rotary has been awe have observed in last fortnight or so spearheading partner in the Global Polio Eradication Initiativeis that he is a true Rotarian – talks rotary, since 1988, along with WHO, UNICEF, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Bill & Melinda Gatessleeps rotary and breathes rotary, Foundation is also a key supporter of the initiative.genuine ambassador for rotary Sporting their signature yellow vests and caps, the nearlyprinciples- universal brotherhood. 119,000 Rotarians in India have helped administer vaccine to So friends have a bash on the clubs children, organize free health camps and polio awarenessbirthday and chill out at Golf Club. rallies, and distribute banners, caps, comic books, and other items. “With the support of their Rotary brothers and sisters around the world, Indian Rotarians have worked diligentlyNext Week in Midtown month after month, year after year, to help organize and carry out the National Immunization Days that reach millions ofDr. Poornima will speak on children with the oral polio vaccine," says RI President Kalyan Banerjee, of the Rotary Club of Vapi, Gujarat. "As an Indian, I Stress Management am immensely proud of what Rotary has accomplished. However, we know this is not the end of our work. Rotary andDate : 14.03.2012 Time : 6.30pm our partners must continue to immunize children in India and in other countries until the goal of a polio-free world is finally Venue : RCL Hall, JLB Road, Mysore. achieved."