1. Unit 6 – Body LanguagePublic Speaking & PresentationProfessor HayashiWeek 9
2. Today’s Class attendance / prep sheet check language focus a golden checklist power up!BREAK presentation practice in-class presentation
3. Language Focus – pg. 38  EMPHASIZING & minimizing  voice actor? exercise 1Exercise 1 – AnswersEmphasize: C, D, E, HMinimize: A, B, F, G
4. Partner UP!  Try exercise 2 & 3 on page 39  Work in Pairs! Have a laugh!ANSWERS:Exercise 2:d)This has been an extremely/a very good year.e)We have had a fairly difficult time/ quite a difficult time.f)We have seen an absolutely / a totally disastrous decline in our profits.g)It was quite/fairly easy to achieve our objectives.h)The announcement was completely / totally unexpectedi)I’ve got some very / extremely bad news.Exercise 3:l)We tend to see things differently. Maybe your experience is a little bit limited.m)To some extent, you’re right. But perhaps we might consider the long-term view.n)There’s just a little bit of time. Perhaps we might discuss this question now.
5. CHECKLIST – pg. 36
6. THE POWER OF BODY LANGUAGE  Watch the video “How to use body language to improve your presentation”  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFIJ8Sm2N0  take notes on the speaker’s 3 main points
7. How to use body language
8. THE POWER OF PAUSING Let’s watch the next video on ‘the power of the pause’ Take notes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpfnRpTuCaQ
9. WHY PAUSE? communicates confidence pause for effect – anticipation pause for thought helps people listen better helps the presenter listen to the audience
10. THE POWER OF PAUSING
11. THE POWER OF 3 let’s watch ‘the power of 3’ jot down any examples you hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSD3On39ZM
12. THE POWER OF 3
13. POWER UP!
14. Your Turn! In groups, prepare a hilarious PERSUASIVE presentation of your choice Try to use our 3 POWER TECHNIQUES: the power of BODY LANGUAGE the power of PAUSING the power of 3