- Adobe, Barbie, Coca-Cola, Disney, Ebay, Fila, Google, H&M, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Kellog’s, Lego, MTV, Nintendo, Oakley, Puma, Quicktime, Reebok, Sega, Texaco, Unilever, Virgin, Walkman (Sony Erricson), Xbox, Yahoo, Zurich (Financial Services) - In partners, talk about exercise A, page 6. Try to use the vocab as much as possible.
ANSWERS – A - Brand loyalty – D Brand image – C Brand stretching – B Brand awareness – E Brand name – A Product launch - I Product lifecycle - J Product range - F Product placement – H Product endorsement –G B – Brand stretching Brand loyalty Brand awareness Product endorsement Product lifestyle Product placement Examples?
1. BrandsPractical Business English Professor Hayashi Week 2
3. VOCAB - Brand Management –Pg.6Name that logo!
4. VOCAB – Word Partnerships – Pg.7WORD PARTNERSHIPS – words that usually go with other words to form typical partnerships or combinationsYou have 10 minutes to complete exercises A & B in partnershttp://tre.ngfl.gov.uk/uploads/materials/19375/timer.swf
5. Brand Management - AnswersA-1. Brand loyalty – D B–2. Brand image – C 1. Brand stretching3. Brand stretching – B 2. Brand loyalty4. Brand awareness – E 3. Brand awareness5. Brand name – A 4. Product endorsement6. Product launch - I 5. Product lifecycle7. Product lifecycle - J 6. Product placement8. Product range - F9. Product placement – H10.Product endorsement –G
6. LANGUAGE REVIEW –Present Simple & PresentContinuous
7. AnswersUsually (PS)Often (PS)Currently (PS and PC)This year (PC)Nowadays (PC)At the moment (PS and PC)Every day (PS)Once a month (PS)These days (PS and PC)Now (PC)
8. Answers1. a) are trying b) develop2. a) create b) are looking3. sells or sell b) is investing or are investing4. a) keeps or keep b) is trying or are trying
9. Answers 1. am working2. Sell3. Dominates4. is doing5. is becoming6. is growing7. develop8. extend9. stands10. are creating
10. DISCUSSION - Promotions
11. Discussion AnswersCASE 1 – HARLEY DAVIDSON1. It is based on the spirit of wild and rebellious youth such as Marlon Brando in the film “The Wild One.”2. Because the performer was Elton John, not the Rolling Stones.3. Their customers will be getting older, and their market shrinking.4. Harley Davidson could try to appeal to younger customers, but this may put off existing and potential older ones.
12. Discussion AnswersCASE 2 – JCB1. From the name of its founder.2. Adults and children had very different images of the company. Adults saw the brand as being very British, with an image of quality and being functional. Children, on the other hand, saw the brand as big, muddy and fun.3. JCB might have developed robust toys for children.4. LG – electronics, chemicals, telecommunications
13. CASE STUDY Volunteers read backgroundBrand CaferomaOwned By PEFDImage Exclusive, Italian-stylePricing HighProduct Characteristics Strong and slightly bitter taste
14. CASE STUDYGroup 1 – Read aloud the “problems” section. Present the findings to the classGroup 2 – Go over the “market share” section. Present the findings to the classGroup 3 - Go over the “sales outlets” section. Present the findings to the classGroup 4 – Go over the “focus group results” section. Present the findings to the class.
15. CASE STUDYIn your groups, choose a team leaderThe team leader starts a meeting to go over the possible solutionsConsider the advantages and disadvantages of each solutionCome to an agreement upon the best solution
16. HOMEWORK!Write a one page essay on how much fun you had in class todayJUST KIDDING….- Complete page 62 of your textbook