1. Week 7 –
Reading British & American Culture
2. Today’s Class
• Midterm review
• What did the Romans leave behind in
Britain after their 200 year rule?
- roads, sites of important cities, seeds
• What is the Black Death?
- a plague in 1348 that killed 1/3 of the
• Who was the queen during the
Golden Age of English history?
- Queen Elizabeth I (restored national
unity, enabled prosperous trading to
• The civil war of 1642 was between which 2
- King Charles I & Parliament
• What is the Enlightenment?
- an era when people began to use reason to
dominate both nature & society
• How did Queen Victoria change life in Britain
during her reign?
- Established the Crown in the Constitution
(politically neutral), Revived support for the
monarchy, affirmed Victorian values
(paternalistic integrity, family, puritanism)
• The Industrial Revolution sparked S__________
R_________ such as the creation of the police force, free
education, and the extension of the vote
- social reforms
• What was a positive outcome of WWI?
- The women were granted the right to vote
• What significant event happened in the 1930’s?
- The great Depression
• Germany lost WWII after ___________.
- it unsuccessfully invaded Russia and Britain & US
• Describe life in Britain in the 1950’s.
- massive growth, increase in wages,
• How was life for young people in the
- exciting, liberating, ‘swinging sixties’
8. Mind Mapping
• What is a mindmap?
• How do you do it?
9. Mind Mapping
• WHAT: a thinking tool that reflects
what goes on inside your head
• HOW: start in center, connect
branches to central image, then
other levels. add one word to each
branch. use color & image.