Banking, Stocks & Shares, Bonds
Business English 2
• attendance & homework check
• banking vocabulary
• stocks & shares
• show me the money!
In a NEW pair, do exercise 1A on page 85
2. credit card
3. cash dispenser/ATM
5. standing order/direct debit
7. cash card/debit card
8. home banking
9. current/checking account
10.deposit time/notice account
Vocabulary in reference to text
How the Stock Market Works
Stocks & Shares
• Scan the article on page 91 to answer the
questions in 1B
1. Because a non-incorporated business (i.e. one that
is not a company) has unlimited liability for debts. If
it owes money, the people involved in it are not
protected from bankruptcy and can lose their
personal possessions. A company provides legal
protection and limited liability.
2. In order to raise capital, generally to expand the
3. Shares give their holders part of the ownership of a
company. Shareholders receive a proportion of a
company’s profits as a dividend, and may be able to
make a capital gain by selling their shares at a
higher price than they paid for them.
*** What is a bond?
***What is the difference
between stocks and bonds?
SHOW ME THE MONEY!
• bankers vs. small business owners
• only one loan to give
• think of a product/service and
prepare facts/figures about costs,
sales projections, profit margins,
repayment periods, existing
competitors, new competitors,
• the banker will decide who to give
the loan to (and professionalism