1. Banking, Stocks & Shares, Bonds Week 10 Business English 2 Professor Hayashi
2. Today’s Class• attendance & homework check (mindmap)• review• banking vocabulary• stocks & sharesBREAK• bonds• show me the money!
3. VocabularyIn a NEW pair, do exercise 1A on page 85ANSWERS:1. overdraft2. credit card3. cash dispenser/ATM4. loan5. standing order/direct debit6. mortgage7. cash card/debit card8. home banking9. current/checking account10.deposit time/notice account
4. Vocabulary in reference to text
5. How the Stock Market Works
6. Stocks & Shares• Scan the article on page 91 to answer the questions in 1BANSWERS:1. Because a non-incorporated business (i.e. one that is not a company) has unlimited liability for debts. If it owes money, the people involved in it are not protected from bankruptcy and can lose their personal possessions. A company provides legal protection and limited liability.2. In order to raise capital, generally to expand the business.3. Shares give their holders part of the ownership of a company. Shareholders receive a proportion of a company’s profits as a dividend, and may be able to make a capital gain by selling their shares at a higher price than they paid for them.
7. Bonds *** What is a bond? http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=svOsKnWlW-g ***What is the difference between stocks and bonds? http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=TnLeJ62qqCs
8. SHOW ME THE MONEY! • bankers vs. small business owners • only one loan to give • think of a product/service and prepare facts/figures about costs, sales projections, profit margins, repayment periods, existing competitors, new competitors, etc. • the bankers will decide who to give the loan to (and professionalism points!)