CHECKLIST FOR INTRODUCTIONS
Attention Getter (rhetorical question, interesting
fact, story, problem)
Welcome the audience
Introduce yourself (name, position/function)
State your topic
Explain why your topic is important for the audience
Outline the structure of your talk
What comes when? Say when you’ll be dealing with
Let the audience know how you’re organizing the
presentation (handouts, questions, etc.)
CHECKLIST FOR THE MAIN PART OF A
Briefly state your topic again.
Explain your objective(s).
Signal the beginning of each part.
Talk about your topic.
Signal the end of each part.
Highlight the main points.
Outline the main ideas in bullet-point form.
Tell listeners you’ve reached the end of the main part.
What is the rule of six?
a maximum of six lines per slide
a maximum of six words per line
CHECKLIST FOR VISUALS
1. Prepare each visual carefully and separately.
2. Check whether the visual really shows what you
3. Make sure your audience can read the visual (size
4. Find effective headlines.
5. Keep design and content simple.
6. Use bullet charts for text.
7. Reduce text to a minimum.
8. Always prepare audience for visuals.
9. Present information clearly and logically.
10. Remember the rule of six.
CHECKLIST FOR USING VISUALS (GRAPHS &
1. Make your visual as clear and easy to understand
2. Start by telling your audience what the
3. Highlight the key points.
4. Say why these points are important (and explain
the cause or effect).
5. Use different verbs to express
6. Use the same key words and phrases you used on
your bullet charts.
Write 3 verbs used to describe movements or
trends (any upward/downward or other
all/fluctuate/go down/go up/grow/hit a
low/increase/pick up/plunge/reach a
CHECKLIST FOR QUESTIONS
1. Listen carefully.
2. Make sure you have understood the question
3. Reformulate the question in your own words.
4. If you wan to postpone the question, say why
5. If you don’t know the answer, say so and offer to
6. Answer irrelevant questions politely but briefly.
7. Check that the questioner is satisfied with your