1. To Sum Up…Public Speaking & Presentation (Advanced)
2. Today’s Class
• attendance & prep sheet
• useful expressions
• conclusion techniques
• give it a shot!
• What is the difference between to rise and to
- RISE = intransitive (no object) = get up/move
up under one’s own power
- RAISE = transitive (with object) =
• What is the checklist for using visuals
(graphs & charts)
1.Make your visual as clear and easy to
understand as possible.
2.Start by telling your audience what the
3.Highlight the key points.
4.Say why these points are important (and
explain the cause or effect).
5.Use different verbs to express
6.Use the same key words and phrases you
used on your bullet charts.
5. Warm up then listen up!
• In partners, do the starter exercise on page 42
• Exercise 1 – listening
1.To find out whether they can reduce air travel costs
by using budget airlines and if so, how to proceed.
2.The options are: to take on a part-time employee, to
have staff book their own flights, or to outsource the
3.The best solution is to employ a part-timer.
4.The presenter recommends that the ideal candidate
either has Internet experience or has previously
worked for a travel agent.
6. Conclusion of a Presentation
• Exercise 2
Signalling the end of the presentation
- Well, this brings me to the end of my
- Thank you all for listening
- OK, I think that’s everything I wanted to
- As a final point, I’d like to…
- I’m now nearing the end of my talk …
7. Conclusion of a Presentation
Summarizing the Main Points
- I’ll just run through the three different options
- Before I stop let me go through my main
- To sum up then, we…
- I’d like to run through my main points again…
- Just to summarize the main points of my talk…
8. Conclusion of a Presentation
Recommending or Suggesting Something
- We’d suggest..
- We’d therefore recommend that we…
- In my opinion, we should…
- What I’d like to suggest is…
- Now I’ll be happy to answer any
questions you may have
- We just have time for a few questions.
- Are there any questions?
10. Conclusion Techniques
• Exercise 6
Call to action – 4
Story – 1
Question – 2
Quotation – 3
a)Presentation 2: do we really want to miss
b)Presentation 3: finish with something
c) Presentation 4: So, the next step is yours
d)Presentation 1: Let me go back to the
story; Remember; So this just shows you
Example – pg. 44-45
Come up with a creative conclusion to a
presentation. Have fun, be silly!