1. TO SUM UP …
Week 12 – Public Speaking & Presentation (Advanced)
2. Today’s Class
• attendance & prep sheet
• useful expressions
• conclusion techniques
• in class presentations
• give it a shot!
• What is the checklist for using visuals (graphs & charts)
1. Make your visual as clear and easy to understand as
2. Start by telling your audience what the graph/chart
3. Highlight the key points.
4. Say why these points are important (and explain the
cause or effect).
5. Use different verbs to express movement/development.
6. Use the same key words and phrases you used on your
4. Warm up!
• In partners, do the starter exercise on
5. Conclusion of a Presentation
• Exercise 2
Signalling the end of the presentation
- Well, this brings me to the end of my
- Thank you all for listening
- OK, I think that’s everything I wanted to say…
- As a final point, I’d like to…
- I’m now nearing the end of my talk …
6. Conclusion of a Presentation
Summarizing the Main Points
- I’ll just run through the three different options
- Before I stop let me go through my main points
- To sum up then, we…
- I’d like to run through my main points again…
- Just to summarize the main points of my talk…
7. Conclusion of a Presentation
Recommending or Suggesting Something
- We’d suggest..
- We’d therefore recommend that we…
- In my opinion, we should…
- What I’d like to suggest is…
- Now I’ll be happy to answer any questions you
- We just have time for a few questions.
- Are there any questions?
9. Important Stuff
The conclusion of a presentation
10. Conclusion Techniques
• Exercise 6
Call to action – 4
Story – 1
Question – 2
Quotation – 3
a) Presentation 2: do we really want to miss
b) Presentation 3: finish with something
c) Presentation 4: So, the next step is yours
d) Presentation 1: Let me go back to the story;
Remember; So this just shows you
11. Group exercise!
• Let’s do exercises 7,8 on page 46
12. Crossword Puzzle
13. Using Your Voice Effectively
• Practice exercise 10 with a partner
14. Practice Using Your Voice
Do exercise 11 on page 48 in pairs
Finally// let me come back to the key points of my talk.//I told
you that in the first quarter, // more than half or 52%, // of
our revenues// came from overseas.// This is in line with the
targets we set out// in 2004/when we decided we wanted to
continue to rely on overseas markets, //especially China, to
keep growing. In the past three months we’ve added more
new customers in China//than in any other country.
Now// what are our targets for the next few months?//The first
major step// will be the introduction of our Paypal payment
service in China.// And then// we will focus on finding
customers in existing markets, // such as the US and Germany,
// who haven’t tried buying from our website yet.
Follow the flow chart on page 44
Come up with a creative conclusion to a
presentation. Have fun, be silly!