NAME OF MEMBERS
Roll no. Name
137 Disha nagar
138 Priyank Panchal
139 Saloni Parekh
140 Hiral Parpani
141 Jiten Patadia
142 Saiprasad Rane
• We the student of Nagindas Khandwalla College from FY.BAF
thanks professor Chitra for her guidance and support. We would like to
express our gratitude and sincere thanks for giving us this opportunity to
present about MEMORY IN GENERAL. This project has helped us in
embedding confidence in us and to carry out the study by exploring
valuable guidance, knowledge and encouragement time to time.
• We also want to thanks management and staff of the college
for their kind coordination and support .
• What is a computer memory ?
• How computer memory works ?
• How is computer memory measured ?
CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER
• There are two types of memory
• Main memory
• Directly accessible to the CPU
• Stored in a uniform memory
• Volatile in nature
• It is divided into four parts: RAM, ROM, SAM and cache memory.
TYPES OF PRIMARY MEMORY
RAM(random access memory)-
• Main memory.
• To read and write memory
• Contrast to ROM, which permits you only to read data.
• Most RAM is volatile
• As soon as the power is turned off, whatever data was in RAM is lost.
ROM(READ ONLY MEMORY)-
• Permanent memory
• Contain a small amount of read-only memory
• It cannot be written.
• Non- volatile
• PROM (programmable read-only memory)
· EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory)
• EEPROM(electrical erasable programmable read-only memory)
SAM(SERIAL ACCESS MEMORY)
• Stores data as a series of memory cells
• Works very well for memory buffers
• On the other hand RAM can be accessed in any order
• Example: the texture buffer memory on a video card
CACHE MEMORY –
• Quickly accessible memory
• Reading of data consumes less time
• Smaller, faster memory which stores copies of data
• Types of cache are:
1. L1 cache
2. L2 cache
• Slowest and cheapest form of memory
• Store the data for longer period of time
• First it must be copied in primary memory or main memory
• Can store as much data as necessary
• There are many types such as: hard disk, floppy disk, optical disk, USB flash
drive, magnetic tape, etc.
MAGNETIC DISK DRIVE
• Coated with a magnetic material such as iron oxide
• Storage of bits
• Three types- 1.)Hard disk
2.) floppy disk
3.) USB flash drive
Metal platter coated with magnetic oxide
• Enormous storage capacity
• Measurement – gigabytes
• Damaged by exposure to sun light
• Types of hard disk are:
1. IDE(INTEGRATED DEVICE ELECTRONIC)
2. SATA(SERIAL ADVANCE TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT)
Also known diskette
• Circular piece of thin plastic material
• Portable storage device
• Hard outer covering
• Types of floppy disk- mini floppy disk
and micro floppy disk
USB FLASH DRIVE
• Also known as pen drive.
• Portable device
• Two types- NAND and NOR logic gate
• Flexible plastic with one side coated with ferromagnetic material
• Sequential format –major drawback
• Periodically recopied
• Electronic data storage medium
• Uses a low powered laser beam
• Stored in the form of light and dark pits
• Three types of optical disk-
1. Read only optical disks
3. Rewritable / magneto-optic disks.
READ ONLY OPTICAL DISKS
1. Compact disk
5. Read only disks
WORM(WRITE ONCE, READ MANY)
• Recorded once and cant be erased
• The other write-once optical disk are CD-R and DVD-R
• Can be erased and written
• The different types are: