Hack-er: a person who uses computers
to gain unauthorized access to data.
• Hackers spend enormous amounts of
time trying to breach the security of
networks, webservers, and email
• Specialized software is utilized to
identify weaknesses, which are then
5 Terrible Things Hackers Can Do
• 1) Cut your car’s breaks
– Security specialists at the University of
Washington have shown that new cars with
computer systems on board can be
susceptible to a hacker gaining complete
control of the vehicle.
• 2) Use your computer screen as a two-
– Getting access to a webcam is easier than
you think in fact, there are sites devoted to
unsecure webcams that have been already
• 3) See you naked
– Full body scanners at airports can be
hacked very easily. Last year image were
leaked from an airport scanner so privacy
breaches are currently a current threat.
• 4) Hack your email
– According to abc News email hijacking
could be the prelude to identity theft
• 5) get your credit card info- are you
– The most commons and one of the most
devastating things a hacker can do is to
steal your credit card information for financial
– Approximately 15 million United States
residents have their personal information
stolen and used fraudulently each year. On a
case by cases basis losses average to 3,500.
How common is it? This Forbes article
provides a great example.
Tips to Consider
• Schedule a scan to occur every week or so on
your realtime anti-malware software, during the
night or at some time your computer isn’t being
• Make sure the virus definitions for your software
are up to date before a scan. Most software
updates itself, but it’s good to check.
• Most firewalls have what are called “Security
Prompts”, which will pop up when an unknown
process begins. If you have initiated a program or
some action on your own, then for the most part
it’s ok and you can accept it. If you have not,