A MOOC IS A MODEL FOR DELIVERING
LEARNING CONTENT ONLINE TO ANY
PERSON WHO WANTS TO TAKE THE COURSE
WITHOUT LIMITATION OF ANY NATURE.
HISTORY OF MASSIVE OPEN ONLINE
The term was coined by a group of Canadian academics in 2008 to represent
a recently invented type of online class that depends on upon small group
interaction for most of the instruction.
IT HAS BEEN FIFTEEN YEARS NOW
SINCE THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
THE MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF
TECHNOLOGY BEGAN THE
COMPUTERS CONNECTED TO THE
INTERNET STARTED TO MULTIPLY IN
OFFICES, LIBRARIES, SCHOOLS
AND HOMES IN MANY PARTS OF
NOWADAYS, MOBILE DEVISES AND
TABLETS HAVE AN INCREASING ROLE
IN LEARNING WITHIN NETWORKS.
PURPOSES OF MOOCS
PURPOSES OF MOOCS…CONT
Increase to higher education
Reduce costs and strengthen teaching and learning.
Add value to education, particularly the learning for students, community, in
order to maximize social capital
ADVANTAGES OF MOOCS…
• Accessibility> the online format of moocs provide accessibility and flexibility
• and eliminate the need for prerequisites. It is not limited to students only but
• even young people can engage in moocs.
• Student engagement> moocs improve students outcomes in a classroom.
• Lifelong learning experiences>lifelong learning skills will be improved, for
• participating in a MOOC forces you to think about your own learning and
• knowledge absorption.
DISADVANTAGES OF MOOCS
• Make discussion a challenge> it is impossible to facilitate meaningful
conversation with students.
• Make it easier for students to dropout>MOOCS are strictly online, not a
blended experience with some classroom time.
• They shrink faculties> they are the destroyers of traditional higher education.
TYPES OF MOOCS
THE ARE DESIGNED TO EMPHASIZE CONNECTING
LEARNERS. THE C- MOOC STANDS FOR
X-MOOCS APPEAR TO HAVE DEVELOPED OUT
OF THE IDEA OF OPENCOURSEWARE AND OPEN
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES.THEY ARE OFFERED
BY UNIVERSITIES IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PROFIT
LIST OF MOOCS
• Edx> it combines the power of top universities like Massachusetts institute of
technology, Harvard, and university of California to create top-notch classes.
• Audacity> it is a collection of moocs, mostly related to computers.
• Coursera>it is a free online course for learners.
• Udemy> lots of courses created by experts across the world.
FIELD OF INTEREST
Sexual transmitted infections