What is A Cover Letter? Marketing Tool: Product = YOU Persuasive Writing: Invitation to find out more about you and land you an interview A way to make the reader’s job easier Targeted Response to A Job Description and/or a Particular organization—not generic ANSWERS THESE QUESTIONS: Can you do the job? Will you do the job? Will you fit in? Writing Sample
Four Steps for Cover Letter Writing From Idealist.org1. Conduct Research on The Organization2. Deconstruct the job or internship description3. Consolidate and prioritize the key requirements you have extracted4. Plug yourself into the organizational and job requirements
The Job Description Climate and Energy Program (CEP) Internship, WRIPosition Summary WRIs Climate and Energy Program (CEP) seeks a motivated, well-organized, and detail-oriented intern to support our climate change and energy policy work. The successful candidate will support CEP staff in a wide variety of activities including publications management, event coordination, database management, financial management, and other tasks related to general program administration.
1. Research: World Resources Institute Climate, Energy and Transport Division Projects: – COP-15: Countdown to Copenhagen – U.S. Federal Climate Policy – International & U.S. Action – Business & Markets – Technology & Green Power – Energy Security & Climate Change – Information & Analysis Tools
1. Research: World Resources Institute From Dec. 7-18, 2009, the world will convene in Copenhagen, Denmark to create a new global climate agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP- 15). WRI’s experts have been actively involved in the negotiations leading up to COP-15 and are analyzing various dimensions of a new agreement, among them: Vulnerability and Adaptation; Forestry and Reduced Emissions for Degradation and Deforestation (REDD); Technology and Technology Transfer; Developing Country Actions; and Finance.
1. Research: World Resources InstituteStaff Jonathan Pershing Director, Climate, Energy and Pollution Program Rob Bradley Director of International Climate Policy Debbie Boger Director of U.S. Climate Policy Pankaj Bhatia Business/Climate Change Associate III GHG Protocol
1. Research: World Resources InstituteNews from Website:On January 15, 2009, the US Climate Action Partnership (USCAP) issued the Blueprint for Legislative Action—a detailed framework for legislation to address climate change.
2. Deconstruct the Job Description Climate and Energy Program (CEP) Internship, WRIPosition Summary WRIs Climate and Energy Program (CEP) seeks a motivated, well-organized, and detail-oriented intern to support our climate change and energy policy work. The successful candidate will support CEP staff in a wide variety of activities including publications management, event coordination, database management, financial management, and other tasks related to general program administration.
2. Deconstruct the Job DescriptionQualificationsKey qualifications for this position include:• An undergraduate degree with an excellentacademic record. Administrative support and/ornonprofit work experience a plus.• Mastery of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,Outlook, PowerPoint) and the Internet. Experiencewith constituent database systems a plus.• Excellent written and oral communication skills.• Ability to juggle multiple priorities and workunder pressure with tight deadlines is a must.• Familiarity with and interest in climate andenergy issues a plus.
2. Deconstruct the Job DescriptionResponsibilities The intern will work in the following key areas: • Assisting with production and tracking of CEP publications. • Assisting with events coordination and setup. • Entering contacts into WRIs Constituent Relationship Management system (Raisers Edge) and maintaining the accuracy of contacts. • Serving as a point of contact for internal requests for CEP information. • Processing contracts and payment requests for consultants, grantees, partners, vendors, etc. • Assisting with preparation and tracking of project budgets, grant reports, and funding proposals. • Organizing and updating the programs internal wiki and network drives. • Providing general office and administrative support as needed.
3. Key Requirements DEGREE: PERSONAL QUALITIES: Minimum: Bachelor Motivated, organized KNOWLEDGE: FINANCIAL EXPERIENCE: Energy policy Processing payments Climate change TRANSFERABLE SKILLS: TECHNICAL SKILLS: Oral and written MS Office Suite communication, dealing with public, detail-oriented Database WORK ENVIRONMENT PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: EXPERIENCE: Publications Juggling, Pressure, Deadlines Program Administration Support Event Coordination
4. Plug Yourself In DEGREE: PERSONAL QUALITIES: Minimum: Bachelor Motivated, organized KNOWLEDGE: FINANCIAL EXPERIENCE: Energy policy Processing payments Climate change TRANSFERABLE SKILLS: TECHNICAL SKILLS: Oral and written MS Office Suite communication, dealing with public, detail-oriented Database WORK ENVIRONMENT PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: EXPERIENCE: Publications Juggling, Pressure, Deadlines Program Administration Support Event Coordination
Two Types of Cover Letters 1) Letter of Application Specific job 2) Letter of Inquiry Interesting company, or lead
Cover Letter Structure Your name Address Phone Email Date—February 14, 2009 Contact Persons Name Contact Persons Position Company Name Company Address (Dont forget this.)
Cover Letter Structure Dear Ms. Jones, (Try to learn the NAME of the person you are applying to) First paragraph I am writing to apply for the position of ………. advertised in ......... on ........ (date). I am extremely interested in the work of ..……, particularly....... I feel I can bring…….to……..(why are you interested in the job and employer, a succinct demonstration of your knowledge of them, and why they should look at you)
Paragraph One SAMPLEI am writing to apply for the Energy andClimate Change Internship currentlyposted on World Resources Institute’swebsite. I have been actively followingWRI’s role in the negotiations leading upto COP-15 and am very interested insupporting this and other programsthrough this internship. I believe I wouldbring valuable skills, experience andknowledge to the support of publications,events and other priorities in the Climate,Energy and Transport division.
Second Paragraph In broad terms and in one or two sentences, list the top experience, knowledge, training, and skills that are relevant to the selection criteria and the job description. Select one or two relevant highlights to explain in more detail
Paragraph Two SAMPLEAt Yale School of Forestry & EnvironmentalStudies I am a candidate for a Master ofEnvironmental Management with a focus onGlobal Climate Change Science and Policy. I havetwo years of non-profit work experience; excellentinterpersonal, communication, computer andinternet research skills; and significant eventcoordination experience. At _____, I served asadministrative support to the Director andexcelled at organizing the weekly roundtableprogram, managing multiple deadlines for grantsand publications, and keeping the website up-to-date. As co-leader of ________, I initiated andhave been responsible for organizing twosemester-long lecture series focusing on climatechange and energy policy.
Third Paragraph CONNECTTHE DOTS FOR THE EMPLOYER Tell them why you are a great fit for the company and how your skills will meet their needs.
Paragraph Three SAMPLEI hope to be attending COP-15 as part ofthe ______ class at FES next winter, andam very enthusiastic about the possibilityof supporting WRI’s “Countdown to COP-15” and other projects this summer. Iwould love to learn more about theplanning for COP-15, and believe mycombination of climate change scienceknowledge and administrative experiencewould make a valuable contribution to theClimate, Energy and Transport division.
Closing Thank them for considering your application, tell them that you have attached a copy of your resume, and when you would be available for an interview. Provide your contact details (Phone / Fax / Email) Yours sincerely, Your signature Print name
Closing SAMPLEMy resume and a writing sample are enclosed for yourreview, and I am happy to answer any additional questionsyou might have. I would welcome the opportunity to visitWashington, DC to interview for the internship, and can bereached at email@example.com or (203)333-4444. I lookforward to hearing from you.Thank you for your consideration.Sincerely,(hand sign here after printing if sending by mail)Fes Student
Writing Tips Use Keywords from job description Always use a reader or readers to review your materials Develop a standard set of phrases for the basics of the cover letter, but target all content to a particular employer or job SPELL AND GRAMMAR CHECK No more than one page Standard fonts, single-spaced Print on quality paper if sending by mail, white or off-white Make a pdf if emailing to avoid track changes showing up
CDO/FES Resources for Cover Letter and Resume Writing Peer Career Advisors (PCAs) Office Hours: – Meredith~ Mondays, 9-12 , Donaldson Cafeteria – Audrey~ Tuesdays, 2pm-4pm, Knobloch Environment Center Communication Coaches Website: environment.yale.edu/cdo CDO Staff, by appointment Career Library