Briefing DAD Students Awards 2010Presentation Transcript
D&AD STUDENT AWARDS
‘Create a Digital Marketing Campaign to
captivate and inspire educated urbanites to
identify with and discover Westfield London‘
• Westfield London is London’s newest retail destination and
Europe’s largest inner city shopping centre
• Located just three miles from Marble Arch, the centre is
situated in one of the most affluent areas in the UK,
surrounded by the neighbourhoods of
– Holland Park
– Notting Hill
• The area is projected to encompass 5.5 million people with
an annual total expenditure of £32.2 billion.
• The centre opened on October 30
2008 and is anchored by five stores:
• Marks & Spencer
• House of Fraser
• Joined by over 270 further shops &
nearly 50 cafés and restaurants plus
a community library
• A large central Atrium hosts events
throughout the year
• Net-a-Porter recently signed to locate
their head ffi
th i h d office within the centre
ithi th t
• A cinema and a gym will open in 2010
The UK’s most accessible mall
• Served by 4 underground stations
– Shepherd's Bush & White City on the Central line
– Wood Lane & Shepherd's Bush Market on the Hammersmith & City line
• Overground service connecting to Clapham Junction & Willesden
Junction in under 10 mins
• Two dedicated bus stations
• 4,500 parking spaces including
– 30 charging points for electric cars
– secure cycle bays
– vehicle management system which indicates whether a space is
• vacant (green light)
• occupied (red light)
• for disabled (blue light)
• for parents with prams (orange light)
Westfield London - Services
A wide range of special services are
provided to ensure an enjoyable
– valet parking & hand car wash
– hands-free shopping
– home delivery
– personal styling
– free wi-fi access
– kiddy car hire
– hotel booking & taxi lounge
All co ordinated by a highly trained
multi-lingual concierge team.
Westfield London - The Village
• The centre combines the best
of the high street with a separate
area for premium brands.
• 40 luxury labels, many of which
have never traded in a UK
shopping centre before, are
pp g ,
housed in a boutique-style
setting, called The Village.
• Prestigious luxury brands:
– Champagne bar
E l brands:
L i V itt
Competitive London Retail Context
With more than 40,000 shops, London is arguably the best and most
competitive retail shopping market in the world
Westfield London’s key competitive set is comprised of the following:
• The West End (Oxford Street, Bond Street, Regent Street and
• World class department stores (Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Harrods).
• Regional shopping centres (Brent Cross).
• Boutiques offering curated merchandise within a small, authentic space
(Browns, Matches, Start).
• New entrants into the UK market (WholeFoods, Abercrombie & Fitch,
( , ,
• Markets (Portobello Road, Camden Lock and Spitalfields).
Westfield London offers a relaxing alternative to the crowded West End.
The mix of retailers, superior services and stunning design combine to
create the ultimate shopping experience.
1. We offer protection from the elements
2 A calmer shopping experience free from severe overcrowding traffic
congestion, noise & dirt
3 Precincted retail offer all under one roof e.g. kids, luxury, high street
e g kids luxury
4. New, market-leading premium services
5. Large events space, that can be used for concerts, product showcases etc
‘Oxford Street without the mess’
‘Bond Street meets Brent Cross’
‘The best of London’s shopping all under one roof’
‘Create a Digital Marketing Campaign to captivate and inspire
educated urbanites to identify with and discover Westfield
• Develop the brand awareness of Westfield London and communicate our unique
shopping experience that sets us apart from our competitors
• The digital campaign must convey exactly what Westfield London is, where it is
located and why people should visit the centre instead of other current shopping
• As a retail space Westfield London has no specific product to sell - our unique selling
point lies in the experiential shopping environment that we provide.
• Think about how the worth of an online campaign could be measured (as Westfield
does not sell online) e.g. in-centre customer response, increased database
• Highly qualified, young people living in major UK cities.
• Generally have a higher income than their peers .They’re spending
their money now on the things they enjoy; shopping, eating, culture
• Work hard, play hard and are time poor. They are discerning
shoppers who use the internet to make purchases
• Brand shoppers with a keen interest in contemporary fashion.
• Media Consumption
– Internet usage:
• 23% for email
• 8%, for 4 or more online purchases a year
• 10% for home finance
– 4 hours watching TV per day
– 1 hour and 46 mins listening to radio per day
– 1 hour and 29 mins looking at outdoor p day
g per y
– 21 mins reading national press per day.
– 35% respond to direct marketing
Current Westfield Digital Assets
• Westfield London website
fi ld d b i
• Email database
• You Tube channel
• F hi
• In-centre interactive directories
• Basic mobile website
1. Westfield London has characteristics that are distinguishable
1 W tfi ld L d h h t i ti th t di ti i h bl
from high street shopping and that form an attractive
proposition for customers.
2. There are a high number of Educated Urbanites, an affluent
customer group, within the catchment area of the centre
3. These customers demonstrate high internet usage.
How do we get these customers in the centre via a
digital marketing campaign?