1. WP7: Mo(va(on Jussi Pohjolainen Tampere University of Applied Sciences
2. Three Ecosystems • Apple – iOS, iTunes, iCloud, Mac OS X.. • Google – Android, Search, Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Google+ • MicrosoJ – Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, Live, Bing, IE..
3. iOS Android WP7 Programming Hard Average Easy Level Fragmenta(on Only couple Fragmented, Only two diﬀerent iOS several devices diﬀerent WP7 versions and and versions versions. devices Market Closed market, Very easy process At the moment, huge amount of for uploading very few apps apps -‐> hard to apps to market -‐> (well 50 000). ﬁnd anything? lot of “crap”. No “Human Proﬁtable “human veriﬁca(on”. veriﬁca(on” of Proﬁtable apps.
4. hap://blog.anlock.com/?p=28 The end result? As said, FIVE &me more sales of our WP7 app vs. our iPhone app. So how can a well wri5en iPhone app, with great reviews, featured by Apple and supported with marke?ng eﬀorts, perform so much worse than the exact same, equally top rated, app on WP7? How is this possible, given Apple’s market share in smartphones (and compared to MicrosoI’s)? The answer is quite simple: Apple has 500.000+ apps on the App Store compared to only 30.000+ on the Windows Phone Marketplace. The poten?al, in terms of devices in the market, of the App Store is huge compared to that of the Marketplace but, at the same ?me, there is ﬁerce compe??on and a LOT of noise in the App Store, making it extremely diﬃcult to stand out.
5. “Human Centric” vs “App Centric”?
6. WP7, Why? • Very fresh new way of thinking the UI • Android is kind of “rip-‐oﬀ” from iOS • Fits nicely with MS-‐Ecosystem: Windows, Oﬃce, Outlook, SkyDrive etc. • Lot of people already in this ecosystem • Companies probably will buy WP7 phones instead of Android and iOS (MS integra(on) • Easy to diﬀeren(ate in Market Place now, since it’s not so crowded yet
7. Marketshare Predic(ons Passes iOS
8. Learning Point • C# and .NET knowledge is highly valued in companies • Several job posi(ons available if one knows MS technologies • Nokia focuses it’s WP7 Development in Peking, Salo, San Diego and Tampere
9. Nokia Today Series 40 Windows Phone • “Low end” phones • “High end” phones • Java ME environment for • Will cover a lot of price development points • World’s biggest installed • MS Tools base
10. Nokia in Future? “Meltemi” Windows Phone • Nokia will modify the • “High end” phones current MeeGo for low end • Will cover a lot of price phones? points • Linux OS to the “next • MS Tools billion” • Qt-‐framework (C++)