1. ✔ PMT
Website ✔ Millennials
functionality: ✔ Social Networking
✔ Tools for:
Brian McManus ✔ Webinars, Blogging
✔ Podcasting RSS
✔ Search Engine
2. In the interest of “Web 2.0”
The slides shown here are
available online at:
You can contact me at:
3. PMT-Project Mutual Telephone
● Idaho Based Rural ILEC with 12,000+
● <70 employees.
● Company since 1916
● Website since 1997
● Redesign in 2002
● Redesign in 2006
● Social networking tools since 2007
4. Your websites audience
Who visits your site?
Where does this traffic come from?
● Current Customers
● Potential Customers
● Organic traffic from an ad, bill insert, etc.
● Search Engine Traffic
What is a millennial?
6. Characteristics of a Millennial
●Reliability is valued less.
●A high value is placed in emerging technologies
●Monetary and REAL value is placed in to virtual
●Device Hungry & Device Savvy.
●Silent Generation: Texts replace phone calls,
visits are replaced with email.
●Not scared of Technology.
●Z's are Movie Crazed.
7. Marketing to Millennials
● Have a product they want, and a product they
can customize and make their own.
● Soft Phone Service (IM/SIP Mobility)
● Disk Backup Service (Web Vault, Online
● Online Gaming, Hosted Game Servers
● Chat rooms, social networking
8. A dream, A vision.
Keep your values, and traditions. Marketing to
this group doesn't mean your company changes.
It only changes how you interact.
The vision- become an internet immersed
company, market to their buyer persona. Speak
in their “dialect” and “language.”
Create bandwidth hungry tools that helps them
want more bandwidth!
9. What is your website?
 A community portal for your customers
 Local content is not just for your cable network
 An incredible and inexpensive Marketing and
10. Planning your site, and choosing
When planning your sites social networking and
social media strategy you need to know:
What browsers your visitors use.
What display resolution your visitors use.
Marketing goals that you may have on your
11. You can't evaluate something you
Tracking your visitors:
12. Our First Step: Making a plan
Product Development group of four in
Marketing Segments/Business Plan
13. Market Segment Business Plan
● My business plan for “Teenagers and
Millennials” was about 14 pages
● Contains pricing but if you email me I will send
you an appropriate copy:
14. Needs analysis
How does social media fit in to your larger
marketing, PR, customer service and media
Which strategies fit?
15. What is social media?
Social media is best understood as a group of
new kinds of online media, which share most or
all of the following characteristics:
16. What is social networking?
A social network service focuses on building
online communities of people who share interests
and activities, or who are interested in exploring
the interests and activities of others.
Most social network services are web based and
provide a variety of ways for users to interact,
such as e-mail and instant messaging services.
17. Social Media & Marketing Tools
There is dozens of tools. Start with one, and then
Pick two or three more that will fit your audience.
Use an “a la carte” approach.
● Social Media Tags & RSS Feeds
● Video & Video based product tutorials and walk-
● Viral Marketing & Viral Buzz
● User community forums
● Subscription based Newsletters
18. Leverage existing Social
Don't recreate the wheel when you don't have to.
We didn't.. Mash-up the appropriate social
networks and applications.
Marketing in a Virtual World:
●Lively by Google
●Start internally-I started blogging on our intranet
to keep employees informed.
●The benefits of blogging.
● Search Engine Traffic
● Keeping customers informed
● Press releases
● Product Tutorials
●Who in your company blogs?
● PMT uses wordpress
● Blogger.com, Wordpress.com, Drupal,
20. Do you allow your employees to send e-mail?
How about letting them blog?
21. Social Media Tags, RSS Feeds
Tag your content. Feed them to “news
distribution release services”
RSS Feeds are important.
Firefox- Live Bookmarks
22. Micro blogging
● A way to get a quick word out.
● Users can subscribe and receive your quick
announcements on their IM clients, or as Texts
on their cellphones
● We integrate our blog to our twitter. New blog
● What is podcasting?
● Tools for podcasting
● Audio recording device
● Good microphone
● XML Feed so people can subscribe to podcast
automatically download it
● Feedburner, Itunes
● Involve an IT geek!
24. Example Podcast Marketing Plan
Also available at:
25. Using Video
● You don't need $80,000 to have a huge impact
● Example: Blend Tech - Google for “Will it
● You'll find a Utah blender company that got
six million downloads in less than 10 days.
Oh, and 10,000 comments in the same
period of time. All by spending a few
hundred bucks, recording a one-minute
video, and uploading that to YouTube.
● Create tutorials, hype marketing use cases for
your products, or a monthly vlog and post it to
26. Live Streaming Video
Stream live content to your website and record for
later use as well.
● Community Events
● Video blog
27. Viral Marketing & Viral Buzz
Web marketing piece to increase brand
awareness that is creative, funny, and engages
the user to invite there friends to look at there
scores or content they created.
28. User community forums
●Easy to implement. Software is readily available-
● Simple Machines Forum
29. Drumming up a user-base
Get people excited, reading and interacting with
your blogs, social profiles, and sites.
● Comment on other blogs linking back to yours.
● Friend-add other users on Twitter, MySpace
they'll add you back.
Use live, or “on-demand” webinars in sales with
small businesses and enterprise customers..
For example: Demonstrate PBX systems, your
new cable tv, internet classes, your computer
Live - Hosted live with live participants
On-Demand- Previously hosted webinar recorded
so anyone can watch it at any time
A wiki is a page or collection of Web pages
designed to enable anyone who accesses it to
contribute or modify content, using a simplified
If applicable create your own online wiki. Great
for internal documentation as well as online
32. Subscription based newsletters
Perhaps one of the easiest of these to implement.
Inexpensive---NO POSTAGE! No printing!
Allow customers to opt-in online, maybe even opt-
in as they subscribe for service.
Monthly mailings and newsletters.
Ideas: Use your current paper newsletter. Include
technical tips, product of the month, scholarships
and contest winners.
33. Other Value Adds to make your
Product walk-throughs, and Product tutorials
using Flash software.
Demonstrate the web interface to your unified
34. Search Engine Optimization
Algorithmically optimizing your site to show up
higher in search engine results.
● Include H1, H2, H3 header tags.
● Key words in URL for example:
● Key words in body
● “Landing Pages”
35. SEO Tools
Three toolkits, $5/piece
● Check Google PageRankings
● Keyword Density Analyzer
● Headings Check
● Link popularity comparison tool
36. Books & Papers I recommend
We've definitely had some guidance---
The NEW RULES of MARKETING and PR
-David Meerman Scott ISBN: 978-0-470-11345-5
Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet
-Jay Conrad Levinson ISBN: 978-1-599-18194-3
Social Media and Social Networking Starting
-Chris Brogan -
37. Go out and DO!
Go out and DO!
Do the simple things first that you'll follow through
with that make your site valuable.
Don't do something if you don't commit to it.
STALE content gives the impression you didn't
try hard enough, and it disappoints when
someone expected more then two year old
content when they click the link.