7 Criteria for Selecting YourPMP® Exam SimulatorPMI, PMP, CAPM, PgMP, PMI-ACP, PMI-SP, PMI-RMP and PMBOK are trademarks of the Project Management Institute, Inc. PMI has not endorsed anddid not participate in the development of this publication. PMI does not sponsor this publication and makes no warranty, guarantee orrepresentation, expressed or implied as to the accuracy or content. Every attempt has been made by OSP International LLC to ensure that theinformation presented in this publication is accurate and can serve as preparation for the PMP certification exam. However, OSP International LLCaccepts no legal responsibility for the content herein. This document should be used only as a reference and not as a replacement for officiallypublished material. Using the information from this document does not guarantee that the reader will pass the PMP certification exam. No suchguarantees or warranties are implied or expressed by OSP International LLC.
2The Project Management Professional (PMP®)certification is a must-have for many projectmanagers. It demonstrates your ability as a projectmanager to your current and prospectiveemployers, and can help you take the next step upthe corporate ladder. That said, it is not an easyroad, and preparing for the exam can be a time-consuming and stressful business.
3PMP® Exam Simulator As adults, we don’t takeexams that often. Part of the nerves and stressrelating to the PMP® exam comes from notknowing what to expect. You can prepare for theexam by revising the material from the knowledgeareas of the PMBOK® Guide, but that should beonly part of your preparation. You can also practicewhat the exam will be like by working throughsample questions in a realistic, online environment.A PMP® exam simulator provides this. Sittingsample tests with an exam simulator will help youface the real exam confidently.Here are the 7 criteria to consider when selecting aPMP® exam simulator to best suit your needs:
41. Select PMI® RegisteredEducation Providers onlyOne of the most important criteria ismaking sure you choose a PMP®exam simulator from a RegisteredEducation Provider (R.E.P). A R.E.P. isan organization approved by PMI®,and the certification and logo showsyou that the product meetsestablished quality standards.
52. Compare the price to your budgetStudying for the PMP® examcan be expensive when youinclude trainingmaterials, books and the examfees. You will probably have abudget for your PMP®journey, so compare the pricesof PMP® exam simulators andselect one that provides thehighest level of quality for aprice you can afford.
63. Ensure that the simulator isbased on the most recent PMBOK®GuideDon’t waste time using an examsimulator that isn’t based on themost recent PMBOK® Guide! Itsounds simple, but be sure to checkthat the PMP® exam simulator youare looking at is actually based onthe latest version. If it isn’t, youcould waste a lot of time onquestions (and answers) that willnot accurately reflect what theexam will be like.
7 Select a PMP® exam simulator that has lots of questions.• It makes the exam prep too easy if the simulatorpresents you with same questions over again, so opt for atool that offers you a great variety to test your abilitiesfully. While you are looking into the questions find out who wrotethem. Choose a simulator where the questions have beenwritten by a group of PMPs.• This ensures that you will be seeing questions from avariety of people, which have most likely been peer-reviewed to ensure quality.4. Establish the simulator content
85. Check it has full exam mode The PMP® exam simulator you choose should have a fullexam mode.This means that you can take a practice exam inadvance of the real thing. It should be very realistic,with the option to mark questions for review, as thatis what you will be able to do during the actualexam. You’ll also want to check that the questions are presented inthe same proportion as in the real exam.For example, about a third of the questions in thereal exam are from Executing a Project. Your choiceof PMP® exam simulator should do the same tomake the practice exams as realistic as possible.
96. Check it offers learning modeLearning mode in an exam simulator is agood option to support your day-to-daystudies during your PMP® exampreparation. You can use learning mode toreview various areas of the syllabus.In learning mode, a good simulator offershints for questions if you arestruggling, and will even show you theanswer so you know what you need toreview. The simulator must also explainthe logic behind the questions, and pointyou in the right direction if you make amistake.
107. Establish the level of technicalsupportPMP® exam simulators can be web-based or available todownload and install on your computer. Either way, findout what sort of technical support the company offers.Ideally, look for a company that provides help whenthings go wrong through a forum, FAQ on their website,or a ‘contact us’ page.In the worst case, you might want to return the productcompletely, so find out if they offer a full refund if youare not satisfied.
11Work through these 7 criteria for every PMP®exam simulator that you are considering, and youwill find a product that meets your needs. Havingchosen a PMP® exam simulator, you can use it tofully prepare for the exam, and you will enter theexam room knowing what to expect. Good luck!