Mystery location calls via skype & google + hangout #rscon4 Presentation Transcript
• What is a Mystery Skype/Google Hangout?
o Two classes connect without knowing where each other's
class is geographically located.
o Students do research about their own state and come up
with clues based on different topics.
• Versions of a Mystery Skype/Google Hangout Call:
o Information about your state
o Yes & No Questions
• Maps of the US or World
• Scrap Paper
• Any oceans or bodies of water bordering
What are some fun vacation spots in your
What are the major crops or industry in
What is one state that borders your state?
What are some physical features of your
• What is the climate like?
What is the
weather like right now?
What type of wild animals would you see in
What is your state capital?
What is a historical fact of your state?
Are there any famous people from your
• The Following Slides are Questions & Jobs
for the Yes & No way of doing a Mystery
• Are you in the United States?
• Is your state in the __ region? (Can add Northeast, Southeast,
Southwest, Middle West, or West)
• Are you in the __ time zone? (Can add Eastern, Central, Mountain,
• Are you East/West of the Mississippi River?
• Does your state border another country?
Does your state border more than ___ states?
Does your state have a coastline?
Does the ____ River flow through your state?
Is the capital of your state ____ ?
Are you near any major cities?
Do you have sports team in your state?
• Greeters – say hello and tell something
about us without giving away our location
Inquirers – ask the questions of the other
Question Keepers – type questions and
answers on computer
Mappers – use atlas, Google maps etc. to
zero in on the clues
Logical Reasoners – eliminate states that do
not match the clues
Clue Keepers – collect relevant information
Back Channelers – record what is happening
during Skype call on Edmodo or Today’s
• Runners – goes between other groups and
help with research and getting questions to
Digital Photographers – captures the Skype
call with a digital camera
Videographer – uses a video camera to
capture what is happening
Live Bloggers – write blog post on classroom
blog about the Skype. Remember to end
with questions to get more comments.
Closers – give more information about us
and end the call.
• Classes should take turns asking questions.
• Make sure you introduce yourself when
Each student should say his/her name
before asking or answering a question.
• Tweet #mysteryskye or #mysterycall
• Skye in the Classroom
• Mystery State Skype Call Wiki Page
• Cybraryman’s Mystery Location Call Page
• 4thchat Mystery Skype SignUp
• Google: "Mystery State Call"
Once you’ve done some Mystery Location
calls, you and your students will be hooked.
Joey King (star of Disney’s Ramona and
James Adams, Constitution Day speaker
(YouTube vid) http://bit.ly/JTpUxd
Author Skype Calls - Jerry Blumengarten, Jacqueline Davis, Richard
Newsome, Bill Boyd, and Dianne de Las Casas
Author Jacqueline Davis of the Lemonade War Series - getting
information on character traits/development of characters in novel
WRAD (World Read Aloud Day) to Skype with Authors (Richard Newsome
Australia/ Bill Boyd Scotland)
Paula’s Skype call with Jerry YouTube video
Paula’s Flickr set of author Dianne Skyping a class in
Philly from my class http://bit.ly/JTsAec
Jerry’s resource page
Kim’s post on Skype call with Jerry
• Randomly call another class that you might
have mystery skyped with to see what they
Used during the end of the year as a way to
keep students engaged and interested in
Blog Post GHO 10-3-12
Mr. K's Corner
Site for Printable Maps
Skye in the Classroom
Cybrary Man’s Mystery Location Call Page
● Cybrary Man’s Mystery Location Call Page
Mystery Skype Call Questions Document
Teacher Cast Podcast #58
Paula Naugle’s Blog
Lang Witches Blog
Nancy Carroll Blog
Kim Powell's Blog
Mr. K’s Corner Blog
Skype in the Clasroom
A special thank you to William Krakower for letting me borrow his slides
and edit them for this presentation.