2. 556 schools39,940 teachers 518,078 POLYTECHNIC NETWORK pupils 166 accredited training providers 3,000 employees 50,000 people in training each year EDUCATION AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING 4 universities150,000 university students 8,000 lecturers and researchers 383,549 enterprises1,936,000 employees
3. HIGHER EDUCATION, RESEARCH, INTERNATIONAL MOBILITYEMPLOYMENTAND SKILLS ER The Education and Research tree The Education and Research project is like a big tree. Its roots extend deep into a fertile soil, with a rich education tradition and work culture. Several paths and opportunities – which are provided by education, training and employment policies to people and enterprises – branch off from its trunk. To grow today and to build a future of responsible innovation and sustainable development.
4. by Patrizio Bianchi Regional Minister of Education, Vocational Education, University, Research and Labour Emilia-Romagna Region Schools Universities and Research “Small thoughts divide, great thoughts Institutes unite” This is the guiding principle . that has driven the implementation of the education and labour policy reform in Emilia-Romagna. This reform has enabled us to outline a “plan” integrating stakeholders, opportunities and pathways from Education to ability to integrate the “autonomous” Research. This reform is known education, training and academic as ER Emilia-Romagna, to identify system with the business system, this Region with a clear political which, in our experience, commitment: investing in education Towards has grown throughNew and research to ensure its a new the enhancement andGeneration territory and its people the balance interconnection of the best necessary competitiveness practices. VocationalPolicies and a new training to grow and the social idea of cohesion that has always characterized A twofold objective is providers equality the development of this region. This pursued: on the one hand, choice is based on the belief that the to promote the integration between future of this country lies in people’s education and training institutions and skills. the labour market throughout the entire The driving force of this process is the supply chain, to enhance and innovate right to equal access to high quality vocational, technical and scientiﬁc skills education and training opportunities of people and businesses; on the other for all and widespread opportunities hand, to seek a new balance between to acquire extensive professional labour demand and supply, by raising and innovative skills enabling people requirements and potentials. to undertake paths to unlock their The starting point is a new idea potential, intelligence, creativity of equality. A dynamic and open and talent and to grow in a European equality intended as access potential dimension, through a benchmarking and transparency. Equality has and dialogue with other practices. been described by the historian and This process requires new generation essayist Aldo Schiavone as social and policies, capable of reinterpreting ER - spatial mobility equality, and reconciling society, economy and Education also applied to position, institutions with a priority: investing and career, knowledge progress in people. Research: and continuous skills In this sense, a strong and shared from enhancement. commitment has been undertaken by vocational the Emilia-Romagna Region. It arises qualiﬁcations The ER design introduces from an inter-institutional dialogue, to PhD a new vision of education, it is measured according to the training and labour policies. The progress made in the dialogue with Emilia-Romagna intends to pursue social partners and it is based on the these goals, from education
5. Institutions Social partners ER is the synthesis. It is a system in which training – understood as a necessary and possible continuous learning of knowledge and skills in formal settings and in labour organizations – supports people in transition, interprets the choices to research, i.e. from the ﬁrst that are made without precluding segment of training under regional later ones, offers prospects for competence, within the framework of improvement for individuals and the Education and Vocational Training organizations, through a network of System, to the highest and most services and a well structured and advanced education system. tight-knit relationship with businesses.Enterprises Education, as dissemination of Sometimes dividing, Educere: acquired knowledge and research and Educate: separating, breaking down as creation of new knowledge. The “going may seem the easiest regional system of higher education beyond” way. However, we must and research, education and vocational be wary of those who training, higher education, career offer simplistic answers to complex development opportunities aimed at problems and realities. Integrating already employed people are part of the actions of training bodies, this framework. Education as a means between themselves and with the to build the future of young people labour market, according to a design Focusing of this region for the based on the permeability of the on objectives, acquisition of new different routes and on specialization plurality skills and new jobs. and complementarity is the most of actions, difﬁcult way, but it is the only one common The close relationship that can be pursued to guarantee approaches between knowledge the result of that great act, which is and evaluation and the labour market educating. The effort to “go beyond” is the hub of to ensure people’s horizons, tools and innovation. Innovation opportunities to make a step further is the parameter to measure growth has been built to date. and to play a leading role at the national This is the only true development and European level. policy that can be promoted to To achieve the expected results in this generate employment and new jobs ﬁeld, it is necessary to focus on the and to create a model of solidarity goals that have been set, through a and of a society capable of reducing variety of actions based on common cultural, economic and spatial approaches and on evaluation activities, inequalities, promoting social mobility, aimed at improving and shifting to the enhancing diversity and gender right strategic choices. speciﬁcity.
6. EDUCATION AND VOCATIONALTRAININGMore futureThe Regional Education and Vocational Training System(EaVT) provides students with a new training proposal thatallows them to achieve Vocational Qualiﬁcations in a three-year-long course.The new regional system (Regional Law No 5/2011) isbased on the cooperation of regional Vocational trainingproviders, which have received accreditation by the RegionalAuthority, and national Vocational schools, which havechosen subsidiarity to provide junior high school-leavers witha differentiated educational offer, consistent with the needsof the Regional economic-manufacturing system.Any idea of education corresponds to an idea of society. Thisis the reason why the regional EaVT system is an educationaland organizational offer that combines continuity with ahigh rate of innovation, in compliance with a set of values:ensuring equal opportunities and the right of everyone toeducational success and enhancing the relationship betweenwork, scientiﬁc and technological culture.The basic assumption is a conception of learning andknowledge as tools of personal freedom and a prerequisiteof good employability. The main reference of the systemis a model of a cohesive society and development aimedat reducing cultural, economic and spatial inequalities andpromoting social mobility.The ﬁrst year of the course is intended to provide generalguidance. It allows students to strengthen their basicskills, also through customized courses, and provideseach one of them with the necessary time to choose themost appropriate training solution to achieve VocationalQualiﬁcations over the next two years.
7. Vocational training providers Vocational Vocational schools Qualiﬁcations It is a twofold challenge. On the one hand, it is intended to prevent and reduce school dropout, by creating ﬂexible career paths, which can re-motivate, strengthen and guide youth, even through fragmented educational routes. On the other hand, it enables this educational segment to play a strategic role in the country’s economic growth. At the end of the three-year-long course, with the achievement of a vocational qualiﬁcation – that fulﬁlls the compulsory education and training requirements – young people are ready to enter the labour market. The choice to obtain a three-year- long vocational qualiﬁcation does not prevent young people from further studying to attain higher levels of education. The EaVT system makes it possible for them to rethink their curriculum and to decide to complete their education up to the attainment of a higher secondary education diploma. The goal is to provide them with more opportunities and to allow each student to gradually gain knowledge according to their expectations and to build a conscious life and work design. V IV Forth year III Three-year II courses vocational qualiﬁcation I Secondary Higher Technical National schools Institutes vocational schools EaVT
8. POLYTECHNIC NETWORKTechnology to growThe production system and work organization are increasinglymore characterized by deep changes. Technological innovation,market globalization and the changing demand for goods andservices expressed by society require it to invest continuouslyin the production of new knowledge, dissemination of technicaland scientiﬁc expertise and acquisition of specialized skills atdifferent, but complementary, levels enabling people to beintegrated into a dynamic labour market and to retain their jobs,thanks to their lifelong learning capabilities.In order to meet this need, the Emilia-Romagna Region hasstrengthened and extended its higher education system, by linking itto the new Regional Polytechnic network.The aim of the Polytechnic Network is to provide training andlearning opportunities based on the enhancement of vocational,technical, scientiﬁc and technological culture. It is characterizedby the integration of different education providers - school system, Higher Technical Institutes (ITS/HTI) in Emilia-Romagnavocational training providers accredited by the regional authority,universities, research centers - and enterprises, all committed to Bologna ITS for new technologiesworking together on the basis of their experience, expertise and for the Made in Italy system Mechanical- industrial automation systemexcellence in the design and implementation of activities. FerraraThe offer of the Polytechnic Network - designed by the ITS for innovative technologies,Emilia-Romagna Region and ﬁnanced through the European cultural assets and activities System for livingSocial Fund Community, national and regional resources - Forlì-Cesena (Cesena)consists of three types of courses. ITS Information and Communication Technologies ModenaCourses organized by Higher Technical Institutes (HTI) ITS for new technologies for the Made in Italy systemHTI are Foundations made up of technical and vocational schools, Mechanical and materials Systemvocational training providers accredited by the Regional Authority, Parma (S. Secondo Parmense)universities, research centers, local authorities and enterprises. ITS for new technologies for the Made in Italy system - Agri-Food systemThey are new technology schools that organize two-year courses Piacenzato train senior technicians who can be integrated into the strategic ITS for sustainable mobility Logistics and mobility of people and goodssectors of the economic manufacturing system, providing companies Ravennawith highly specialized skills and innovative capacities. Courses are ITS for energy efﬁciencyalternative to university, although closely connected to it, provide Energy and environment Reggio Emiliafor mandatory work experiences, both in Italy and abroad, and a ITS for new technologiessigniﬁcant number of teachers coming from the business world. for the Made in Italy system Mechatronics Mechanical System Rimini ITS for innovative technologies for cultural assets and activities Tourism and Wellness
9. higher technical Vocational training HTI degree Schools providers 1800/2000 hrs Universities and HTET 800/1000 hrsResearch Institutes Enterprises Higher Technical higher technical Institutes specialization skills’ 300/500 hrs certiﬁcation Vocational Qualiﬁcation Higher Technical Education and Training Paths (HTET) HTET are designed and made up of a higher secondary education institute, a vocational training provider accredited by the Regional Authority, a university and one or more companies. They train highly specialized technicians capable of managing and supervising corporate organizational and manufacturing processes, also connected to technological innovations and market internationalization. They are addressed to young people and adults who intend to be integrated or re-integrated into the labour market through the acquisition and enhancement of new skills. Higher Education Paths (HE) HE are designed by vocational training providers accredited by the Emilia-Romagna Regional Authority in close liaison with enterprises. They are an opportunity for the acquisition of speciﬁc and targeted training for employed and unemployed youth and adults, who wish to enter the labour market or to attain further qualiﬁcations to effectively perform occupational roles as engineers and project managers in the production and business management areas. They are addressed to employed or unemployed youth and adults, with a higher secondary education diploma. Polytechinic Universities HTI HTET HE network V IV Forth year III Three-year courses II vocational qualiﬁcation I Secondary Higher Technical National schools Institutes vocational schools EaVT
10. HIGHER EDUCATION, RESEARCH,INTERNATIONAL MOBILITYKnowledge NetworksThe third segment of the regional ER design includes measuresto build shared knowledge networks between businesses,local government and research institutions. It offers the mostexperimental and innovative opportunities and actions in theresearch and human capital areas that play a key role for thegrowth of competitive, open, global production systems, whichare a necessary condition to return to grow at a pace consistentwith international markets.Training vouchers for higher educationTraining vouchers are grants funded by the Regional Authority toallow access to employed and unemployed people to universitymasters, advanced training courses and specialization courses,which are previously validated and collected in special catalogs.The aim is to promote access to lifelong learning with a viewto providing people with continuous training and retrainingopportunities.Ph.D. coursesTo support the regional research system and to develophuman resources, the Regional Authority funds scholarshipson strategic issues for enterprises and for the regionaleconomic system. The goal is to train highly qualiﬁed proﬁlesnecessary to foster regional competitiveness and strengthennetworks between institutions, universities and the economicmanufacturing system, and thereby strengthening all links in theinnovation chain, to meet the challenges facing our society.Research grants and scholarshipsER provides research grants, ﬁnancial incentives, customizedmentoring and support services, advanced training through theSpinner 2013 Program.
11. Vocational training providers Research grants Universities and TrainingResearch Institutes Enterprises vouchers PhD oriented Apprenticeship Actions are aimed at supporting: • Innovative business and / or knowledge-intensive ideas Paths to support the creation of new knowledge-based enterprises. • Industrial research, experimental development, technology transfer The projects and measures to facilitate and enhance the transfer of skills and technologies between the places where they are generated and studied and the places where they are evaluated in terms of economic and social development. • Organizational, managerial and ﬁnancial innovation Interventions for the transfer of new organizational models with priority to some speciﬁc areas, such as creativity, design, welfare, social enterprises and cooperatives. Research grant Scholarship for PhD Higher education training vouchers Higher education, research and international mobility Polytechinic Universities HTI HTET HE network V IV Forth year III Three-year courses II vocational qualiﬁcation I Secondary Higher Technical National schools Institutes vocational schools EaVT
12. EMPLOYMENT AND SKILLSNew Skills for new jobsAll the opportunities provided by the ER design target thehiring and retention of qualiﬁed people in the labour marketand the identiﬁcation, creation and transfer of new skills fornew jobs. The fourth branch of ER, which completes theregional design, includes different active policy opportunities:ranging from the provision of training opportunities to alreadyemployed people, also on the basis of mixed contracts,to paths available for the upgrading of workers’ skills and fororganizational and manufacturing innovation of businesses,job placement experiences and traineeship courses.ApprenticeshipApprenticeship is one of the most favorable opportunitiesfor young people who wish to enter the world of work.It is an educational content-based contract (deﬁned asa mixed contract) whereby the company commits itselfto provide the apprentice with a training program,designed and ﬁnanced by the Regional Authority,within the framework of the employment relationship.There are three Apprenticeship types:• Apprenticeship as a right/duty to education and training It is aimed at young people and teenagers, aged between 16 and 18 years, and it is one of the formulas set forth by law to implement the right/duty to education and training.• Employment-oriented apprenticeship It is aimed at young people aged between 18 and 29 years. It allows them to achieve a vocational qualiﬁcation through on-the-job training and technical and vocational learning.• Higher Education and PhD oriented Apprenticeship It is aimed at young people aged between 18 and 29 years. It allows them to work in a company and to achieve a masters’ degree or a PhD.
13. Vocational training providers Traineeship Universities and Research Institutes Enterprises Apprenticeship Continuous education Traineeships Traineeships are intended to support the inclusion of young people in goods and services’ companies to allow them to achieve practical experience and test the validity of the skills acquired in previous training courses, including university. They are not employment contracts. Yet, they are an effective tool to facilitate and speed up the integration of young people into the labour market, to acquire new skills and abilities and to establish contacts and relationships. Continuous education and lifelong learning Training courses are carried out in the Region thanks to EU, national and regional funds, to meet the different needs of all workers and enterprises based in the region: namely to promote innovation and enhance excellence by supporting, at the same time, the increase of the skills of workers and the retention of temporary and at risk of exclusion from the labour market ones. Research grant Traineeship Scholarship for PhD Ph.D. in High Apprenticeship Higher education training vouchers Continuous education and lifelong learning Traineeship Higher education, research and High Apprenticeship international mobility Labour market Polytechinic Professionalizing Universities HTI HTET HE network apprenticeship TraineeshipVIV Forth year ApprenticeshipIII as right and duty Three-year coursesII vocational qualiﬁcation TraineeshipI Secondary Higher Technical National EaVT schools Institutes vocational schools
14. Services and activities for the quality of workRegional policies for education supporting their process of economic Employment Incentivestraining and employment - in order growth and innovation. Employment Incentives areto meet the complexity of the labour It supplements the various training provided to help disadvantagedmarket and the challenges which the opportunities with a series of people to ﬁnd a job.economic and productive system actions aimed at fostering qualityis called to confront with - require of employment and ﬁghting Targeted job placementtransparency and a strong new discrimination. Targeted job placement servicescapability to communicate with the promote the speciﬁc inclusion ofbeneﬁciaries of policies and with all Employment Centres job-seekers with disabilities into thethe players of the system. The Employment Centres network links labour market.For this, ER is based on a network together 59 desks located throughoutof services - in part also online, of the regional territory, offering their Day nursery grantsinformation, guidance, advisory, services to citizens and enterprises. Day nursery grants are provided tointersection of labour supply and families to facilitate the access ofdemand - aimed at supporting people Spinner Points young children to nursery schoolsduring their periods of transition 10 Spinner Points - active at and to support family work balance.(between training and work and universities and regional research It is an effective way to combatbetween one job to another one) centres - serve as reference points discrimination especially againstand at simplifying administrative for students wishing to initiate highly working mothers.requirements for enterprises and innovative and entrepreneurial projects and careers.
15. Patrizio Bianchi, has been appointed Regional Minister of Education, Vocational Education, University and Research, Labour of the Emilia-Romagna Region since May 10, 2010. He graduated from the University of Bologna, Faculty of Political Sciences, specializing in Politics and Economics. He is professor of Applied Economics. From 2004 to 2010 he was the Rector of the University of Ferrara. He had formerly served as Dean of Faculty of Economics at the University of Ferrara. He is an industrial economics expert. He was Head of the Industrial Policy Laboratory of Nomisma, For any further information, please contact: a member of the board of Emilia-Romagna Region directors of IRI and presidentMinistry for Education, Vocational Education, of Sviluppo Italia. He has been University and Research, Labour a member of the Commission for labour policies and Viale Aldo Moro 38 manufacturing sectors at the 40127 Bologna (Italy) National Council of Economy and Labour. He is an Economic phone: +39 051 5274081 Advisor to the Governor of fax: +39 051 5273578 Guangdong Province of China. He is honorary professor at email@example.com the South China University of www.emiliaromagnasapere.it Technology in Canton. He is www.emiliaromagnalavoro.it the author of several books and publications in international scientiﬁc journals.