Teachers little helper is designed to follow Unit 3 - and by using imagery allow the students to read the stories and break them down to ask/answering and speaking about what they know about the
Teachers little helper is designed to follow Unit 3 - and by using imagery allow the students to read the stories and break them down to ask/answering and speaking about what they know about the subjects of these stories.
1. UNIT 3 – THE WORLD OF WORKBELI NDA BAARDSEN, AMERI CAN EX PAT, SAUDI ARABI A, DECEMBER 2012
2. UNIT 3 - VOCABULARY Waiter PostmanScientist Centre OldWorks France PolicemanSpeaks Paris FiremanLanguages Interpreter Taxi driverSkiing United nations School bus driverDoctor New York BoatmanAustralia Journalist AmbulanceSwitzerland BBC AccountantFlying Moscow UndertakerNon-stop Twelve WifeNo free time Jobs Hotelradio Busy Island very Scotland
3. THE WORLD OF WORK Present Simple: he, she, it Three jobs My father is a My mother is My brother is.. doctor… a…1. Alison is a scientist.2. She comes from Cambridge, in England. Alison Hauser3. She now lives in Switzerland.4. She works three days a week at the Institute of Molecular Biology in Geneva. Page 205. She speaks three languages.6. She’s married and has a daughter.7. She likes skiing in the winter and going for walks in the summer.
4. WHO IS ALISON HAUSER? • 1. Alison..married? • 2. Scientist..works? • 3. Switzerland..lives? • 4. …married? • 5. Languages / speaks? • 6. …children? • 7. Hobbies?
5. BOB NELSON Page 20 • Bob is a doctor. • He is English, but he now lives in Australia in a small town, Alice Springs. • He is a “flying doctor.” • He works every day from 8:oo am until 10:00 am. • He speaks to people by radio. • He flies to help them. • He works 16 hours a day non- stop, but he loves his job. • He isn’t married. • He has no free time.
6. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BOB? • He/Doctor • Flying.. • Works / non-stop • Lives / Australia • Where/ lives? • Hobbies? • Married? • Children?
7. PHILLIPPE BALLON Page21 1. Phillippe Ballon is a waiter. 2. He lives in France. 3. He lives in the city of Paris. 4. He works in the centre of Paris. 5. He speaks French, and a little English. 6. He is married. 7. He has two sons. 8. During his free time he likes to read, and play football.
8. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT PHILLIPPE? What do you know about Phillippe? Break out in pairs – discuss what you know in English Present to class what you know
9. MARK KONIG Page 22 1. Mark is a journalist for the BBC 2. He is English, but he lives in Moscow. 3. He works in an office. 4. He speaks three languages: English, Russian and German 5. He is married to an American, and has three daughters. 6. His hobby is skiing.
10. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MARK?
11. MONA HALASHEH • Mona is an interpreter. • She is Jordanian, but she lives in New York. • She works at the United Nations. • She speaks three languages: Arabic, French, English • She is married. • She has two sons. • Her hobby is reading.
12. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MONA? Page 22
13. THE MAN WITH 12 JOBS • Semas mcsporran – is a very busy man. • He is 60 years old. • He has 12 jobs. • He is a postman. • A policeman. • A fireman. • A taxi driver. • A boatman. • An ambulance man. • An accountant. • A petrol attendant. • An undertaker. • He and his wife Margaret also have a shop, and a small hotel. • He lives and works on the Island of Gigha in the West of Scotland. • He gets up every day at 6:00 am and makes breakfast for the hotel guests.Go to page 24 – in your Headway Plus Book and find out more about Semas.
14. WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT SEMAS?
15. WRITE & DISCUSS: WHAT KIND OF JOB DO YOU WANT?
16. IDEAS & VOCABULARY Page 26 A pilot An interpreter A nurse A chef An accountant A journalist A postman An architect A shop assistant