It is green and no mad dashes to the store ….Teachers have glommed onto Glogster with gusto, using it in place of traditional poster assignments. Other uses of Glogster have demonstrated how versatile this poster-creation tool can be when partnered with solid teaching pedagogy and teacher creativity.
Great motivator- motivates students desire to explore topics thaye may not have iterested in before..an alternate way to express creativity. And of course, an added benefit for parents is tht I don’t have to make that night before the poster is due run to the store for poster board….
The visual, audio, and textual capacity of Glogster not only will appeal to digital learners, it has the potential to support the visual literacy skills that are becoming essential skill sets for 21st century learners. In The Visual Literacy White Paper, Bamford suggests that a lack of awareness of visual literacy skills will impede students� ability to communicate effectively, since visual images are becoming �the predominant form of communication across a range of learning and teaching resources delivered across a range of media and formats." (Bamford, 2004, p.2). Visual communication is a process of sending and receiving messages using images. Visual literacy can be defined as the �ability to construct meaning from visual images.� (Giorgis, Johnson, Bonomo, Colbert, & al, 1999: 146) To make meaning from images, the �reader� uses the critical skills of exploration, critique, and reflection."~ The Visual Literacy White Paper, Dr. Anne Bamford, Art and Design University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
3. Glogster Webinar Plan<br />What is Glogster?<br />Why use Glogster?<br />How does Glogster meet NET*S?<br />Guest Educators Chris Clementi, Gail Lovely, and Victoria Johnson share classroom use of Glogster.<br />Create a basic Glogster glog.<br />
4. Moving Posters to the Digital Age<br />
5. Glogster is a safe, Web 2.0 tool that allows you to design an online interactive multimedia poster. This tool brings posters to the digital age. Each digital poster is called a “Glog”.<br />Glogster is free and runs in your web browser so there is no software to install.<br />A glog can be created and edited on any computer with an internet connection<br />A glog can have text, hyperlinks, images, graphics, photos, music, audio, and video.<br />
6. Benefits of Glogster<br />You can set up a teacher account and up to 200 associated student accounts within this safe, private, secure Glogster environment.<br />Adds audiovisual aspects to traditionally text-oriented subjects <br />Fosters teamwork and collaboration with classmates<br />You can embed a glog into your wiki, blog, or web page.<br />Unique opportunity for student assessment, addresses multiple learning styles and is excellent for differentiating instruction.<br />
9. NET*S National Education Technology Standardswww.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS <br />Creativity and Innovation<br />Communication and Collaboration<br />Research and Information Fluency<br />Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making<br />Digital Citizenship<br />Technology Operations and Concepts<br />Fosters 21st Century Skills http://www.p21.org<br />
10. Standards Alignment Area<br />Lesson Plan Area<br />Media Resource Area<br />External Media Resources<br />Submission Form<br />
11. How would you use Glogster in the classroom?<br />
14. Educators Sharing Glogster…<br />Chris Clementi<br />Chris Clementi is a computer teacher at Mountain Ridge Middle School in Colorado Springs. Her students learn how to make extensive websites, posters on endangered animals, movies and more. The lessons are designed to give students ample opportunity to be creative and innovative. Ethics are continuously emphasized in her classroom. She recently became Google Teacher Certified, giving her the opportunity to train staff members how to use various Google Tools. Every summer she presents at the Technology in Education Conference in Colorado. Several of her lessons have been published in the Ed Tech Magazine.<br />My Resource Page:http://sites.google.com/site/techintegrationsite/content/web-2-0/glogster<br />*Retapedia http://retapedia.pbworks.com/Glogster-in-the-classroom<br />
15. Educators Sharing Glogster…<br />Gail Lovely <br />Gail Lovely is a teacher by calling and profession. A former classroom teacher of grades PK through 8, Gail now works for herself providing meaningful, practical professional development specializing on wise and powerful ways to use technologies to improve teaching and learning. She received her Master of Science in Educational Computing from Pepperdine University, and her Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of California.<br />http://glovely.edu.glogster.com/glogsterexamples/<br />Victoria Johnson currently teaches AP US History, AP Government, and Government at Hot Springs High School in T or C, NM. She also taught Drivers Ed. and New Mexico History at HSHS. She is married and has two great kids. She is currently an E-Teacher for Ideal NM and loves to learn about all the new web 2.0 tools that she can incorporate into her classes.<br />http://mrstjohnson.edu.glogster.com/dashboard/<br /><ul><li>Victoria Johnson</li>