SAFETY IN THE MACHINE SHOP
SAFETY ON THE JOB
- Accidents don’t just happen; they are caused. The cause of accidents can be traced to carelessness on someone’s part.
- Accidents can be avoided , worker must first develop safe work habits.
SAFE WORK HABITS
- Be neat and safely dressed for the job.
- Develop a responsibility for personal safety and the safety of others.
- Think and work safely all times.
SAFETY IN THE SHOP
- Always wear proper working attire inside the work shop area.
- Never wear lose clothing .
- Remove wrist watches, rings, and bracelets ; these can be caught in the machine, causing injury.
- Never wear gloves when operating a machine.
- Long hair must be protected by a hair net or approved protective shop cap.
- Canvas shoes or open-ended sandals must never be worn in a machine shop.
- Always stop machine before attempting to clean it.
- Always keep machine and hand tools clean .
- Always use brush and not cloth to remove any chips.
- Oily surfaces should be cleaned with cloth.
- Do not place tools and materials on the machine table.
- Keep the floor free from oil and grease.
- Sweep up the metal chips on the floor frequently.
- Clean work place and return all tools after work.
SAFE WORK PRACTICES
- Do not operate any machine before understanding its mechanism and knowing how to stop it quickly.
- Before operating any machine, be sure that the safety devices are in place and in working order.
- Make sure that the cutting tool and the work piece are properly mounted before starting the machine.
- Keep hands away from any moving parts.
- Always stop a machine before measuring, cleaning or making any adjustments.
SAFE WORK PRACTICES
- 6. Never use a rag near the moving parts.
- 7 . Get first aid immediately for any injury, no matter how small.
- 8. Before you handle any work piece, remove all burrs and sharp edges.
- 9. Use the proper wrench for the job , and replace nuts with worn corners.
- 10. It is safer to pull on a wrench than to push it.