SASCon Mini 2014 - How will you break the cycle of bad SEO/ MarketingPresentation Transcript
How will you
Head of Organic Performance – Travel & New Business
Have you been stuck in a rut in 2014?
“People get into a rhythm that
makes them resistant to change.
To understand the mind-set try
switching hands when you brush
your teeth in the morning.”
Gary Gesme, Deere & Company (John Deere Company)
What is Bad Marketing/ SEO?
SPAM is REALLY bad Marketing!
SPAM is REALLY bad Marketing!
SPAM….Ignores the customer!
A lack of
Data driven creative thinking
Ideas, ideas, ideas
• Creative ideation needed to fuel campaigns and strategy
• Integration with the data teams
• Ideas which are accountable
• BIG THINKERS
Where is search going?
Bad #5 in
So what? Why should I care?
If it has
What is going to be big?
more personal, more engaging, more interactive
• Structured data
Make it as easy as possible for search engines to understand the “real” person
behind our content
• Authorship mark up and influence
• Mobile optimisation
Google will always prioritise and rank sites which offers a full user experience
across multiple devices
• Bespoke content for device not just responsive
• Semantic search
Google Hummingbird update in 2013 paths the way
• Optimise for user intent not just keywords
Convert more of what you have
Mobile search will be a priority
in tools for
Push your data partners for
Expand the skillset of your teams
A more integrated approach to SEO
We must future proof our organic profile by understanding where
the landscape is changing
• Understand the wider role of
integrated organic search marketing
• Ensure that search engine algorithm
updates inform our long-term strategy
• Invest more into UGC to drive earned
• Build a network of advocates who
relate to our customers
But hey….Links are still important!
Driving an integrated digital marketing strategy to EARN links
• Brand and consumer content not SEO content
• We must create and distribute great brand content which has a
value to our consumers
• Links will follow naturally if the content is right
• Where do we want links?
• All we should care about is that someone links from a high
• Let people link naturally
• No more exact match anchor text links into landing pages
First Learn, then remove the “L”
PR & Social channels more accountable
Using organic performance to measure the effectiveness of PR &
• Integrated teams with a common goal
• How do we measure the impact of great PR coverage?
• What does it mean to have x amount of Facebook and Twitter
• How do both channels impact our organic search profile?
• Using consistent tools and data
• SEO, PR, Content and Social should speak the same language
• We should use the same data
• Centralised toolkit for measurement and reporting
Now could be the time to push your
Facebook presence – Introducing…
Organic Paid Social!!?
• Facebook CTR is up 275%
• Facebook CPC is down
• The drop in CPC’s means
Facebook is cheaper and
Peer To Peer Validation – Earned Social
• Consumers are 80% more likely to use a brand or website from a
friend liking a page than they are from responding to a traditional
We must optimise better
for social graph
• 3 billion pieces of
Understanding Facebook EdgeRank
SEO, Social and PR teams must understand EdgeRank to create and
disturbed content that reaches the maximum number of consumers
• Facebook’s proprietary algorithm, EdgeRank, determines how
and when content appears in a users news feed:
Its not just about Facebook
Creating and distributing unique content to drive a differentiation
between platforms and encourage consumers to come back
• To maximise reach and engagement for brand campaigns we
must begin to look at our owned channels and understand the
impact this can have on organic performance
Our social ecosystem