1310 El Dorado Ave
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Background: Industrial veteran and inventor
covering the last eight years.
Alpha products - Omega Products
Entrepreneur Designs and Patented Inventions:
Direct hands-on experience in Silicon Valley start-ups. Work in many different manufacturing and
engineering development environments. I have extensive work as a Design Consultant.
Advocate for Fortune 500 companies to make sure their design house is not
adding unnecessary costs to there design.
If you don’t bring down the cost on the front end, will you have to scramble to cut costs later!
1. Optimize and adjust design criteria through all stages of a project invented new and
a. Work with all levels of a company on controlling the Bill of Materials, including
purchasing, engineering, manufacturing, outside vendors, document control, etc.
b. Identify which product design are best suited for the revenue.
c. Match the strategic business to the business plan for PC manufacturing in Africa.
3. Control cost
a. Select the best components and manufacturers for the lowest price.
b. Negotiate lowest price with manufacturers
4. I have been an advocate many times for companies dealing with contract
manufacturers and design houses.
Areas of expertise include:
RF Wireless Cost Effectiveness Engineering
IR Wireless Manufacturing Process Design
Smart Cards SMT Process Control
Documentation Product Design/Development
Design Patents for Single Circuit Secure memory
Two Patents in Wireless,
Micro Mesh Devices
(#6553481).& (#6772239) for
Screen Phone Designs
• Select the best components
and manufacturers for the
• Negotiate lowest price with
• PHILIPS start-up Internet
capable P200 Screen Phone.
High volume monolithic
pricing negotiating for a cost
saving for one year’s
production volume of
641,000 phones $36 Million.
Law Offices of Howard Rice
Nemerovski Canady Falk &
Rabkin: Screen evaluating
patent ability of innovations
and counsel on patent issues
Optimize and adjust
design criteria through all
stages of a project
of a high
Outdoor mesh routers
brings all of the benefits of
instant mesh networking to
outdoor and long range
applications. Cost control
of the mesh network
provides higher margins in
Hand Build In-circuit Programmers
Design hardware and software for a custom In-circuit
Programmer for testing new circuit designs.
Design, Tested, Invented
High Volume Production Design for RF IC’s Clamps
SMT Process Control
Consultant RF High
Power fixture design to
improve yields in a no
clean solder paste RF
Design, Tested, Invented
MEMORY ARRAY on glass plates with ITO electrodes: Memory prototype
polyimide development. Produce working In-circuit tools and software program for
Design, Tested, Invented In-Circuit Programmer.
0.2 sample #2
0.18 sample #3
400 600 800 1000 1200 1400
The Thin Film Polyimide memory array design is solid state, with no mechanical or moving parts
involved. It uses a passively addressed, cross-point matrix. An ultra-thin layer of the polyimide is
sandwiched between two sets of electrodes. A typical Memory array may consist of several
thousand such electrically conducting lines and hence millions of electrode crossings. Memory cells
are defined by the physical overlap of the crossed electrodes and selected by applying voltage.
Each electrode crossing represents one bit of information in a true 4f² cell structure, the smallest
possible physical memory cell. The effective cell footprint is further reduced if additional memory
layers are applied. In the latter case, each new layer adds the same capacity as the first one.
Cost control of a high
volume PDA’s for
Phillips and Vadem.
Design wins and cost
saving for all components.
World Bank Strategic Business Plan for Africa
Personal Computer manufacturing in Africa:
Develop Manufacturing Strategic Business Plan
for Coto d’Ivoire this document is used to this day
by the World Bank.
Mobile scooter computer rack
Invented, design and tested
Magnetic Resonance Medical Head for treatment of schizophrenia
Invented medical head design, tested and
delivered one off prototype in five days.
Automatic Library checkout Book Scanner
In five weeks produced a completely functional product.
All hardware and software integrated
Design tested and invented
Philip S. Langton
1310 El Dorado Ave.
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
(831) 325-3235 voice (831) 477-0310 fax
Direct hands-on experience in Silicon Valley manufacturing and engineering development environments, with extensive work
as a Wireless Cost Control Consultant and JAVA Project Director. Major strengths in inventing new products, process control,
cost control, troubleshooting, and supervision of manufacturing functions.
PRODUCT TECHNOLOGIES KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Two Patents issued in Smartcards, PDA’s, JAVA Software, Screen Phone, RF Design Methods, SMT Robotics Controller,
Evaluating Price Trends, Writing Assembly Procedures, PWB Fabs, SMT RF Controller, Automated Assembly, Re-flow, RF
Wireless, Evaluating Price Trends, R&D Sources, Training, Plastic Molding, BOM’s, PCB Assembly, Strong Customer
Approach, OEMs, MFG. Procedures, Quotations, Negotiating, Off Shore, Master Build Plans, Fabrication of Parts, ECN’s,
Trade Shows, RF Manufacturing, RF Component Source’s, Market Analysis Studies, Cost Control, CNC Home Appliance,
• PHILIPS start-up Internet capable P200 Screen Phone. High volume monolithic pricing negotiating for a cost saving for one
year’s production volume of 641,000 phones $36 Million.
• Materials Logistics Consultant to improve the handling of materials to all departments in a contract/turnkey company, resulting in
a cost saving of 300K plus per year.
• SMT Process Control Consultant RF High Power fixture design to improve yields in a no clean solder paste RF assembly process.
• As Project Director, directed all support and development of improved MFG. Processes for SMT, PCB’s and assemblies. Met
budget and improved yearly revenue by 20%, for turnkey and consignment projects in a high volume environment.
• Launched engineering business, which produced environmental chambers. Managed 20 employees in the design and manufacture
of capital equipment for high tech companies. Annual contracts totaling 1.1M.
• Founder and manager of Chariot Imaging Technologies, a start-up company manufacturing a new generation of instant photo
booths deploying state-of-the-art 32 bit graphics technology to produce 11” X 17” full color posters.
• Established objectives and managed yield improvement project for high tech Start-up Company producing 32-bit UNIX
computers. Reduced the cost of manufacturing components, PCB designs, alternate sources, document control and MFG.
assembles by 1000%.
• Analyzed and redesigned PCB rack airflow for new product release. Successfully increased efficiency resulting in a 20% annual
saving in component costs.
• Created and conducted standardized test procedures and failure analysis protocols for the electrical and mechanical components of
ICs resulting in an annual savings of 23%.
• Evaluated all components contained in Screen Phone, computerized cash registers, laser scanners, and controllers. Responsible
for evaluation and final approval of all ECO recommendations.
• Launched a Touch-Tone telephone flight scheduling system for flying clubs and aircraft partnerships.
• JAVA Development Hardware / Software Director of High volume Off Shore Wireless Internet card.
• Patenting innovations for low power wireless Internet enabling Micro-devices.
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY 1986-PRESENT:
Principle: CNC Global Inc. CTO Start-up Home CNC Appliance, 02/10-Present
Founder: OFID Micro Devices Corp: Security IC Chip, Santa Cruz CA 08/06-Present
Founder President: Swapcard Technology Corp. High volume Wireless Microdevice, Santa Cruz CA 11/98-Present
Consultant, Components/Cost control Eng.: Firetide, wireless mesh network Hotpoint, Los Gatos, CA 4/04-7/04
Consultant, Components/Cost control Eng., Sticknetworks GSM/CDMA Wireless PDA for Compaq Dallas, TX 8/00-3/01.
Consultant, Patent Eng. Law Offices of Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin: Screen evaluating patent ability of innovations and
counsel on patent issues Electronics/Internet. Palo Alto CA 5/99-6/00.
Consultant, Components/Cost control Eng.: Infogear Corp Critical Cost Control for High Volume Screen Phone Production.
Redwood City CA 11/98-4/99.
Consultant, System Cost Control Eng. Philips Mobile Computing Group: Consultant for cost control of a high volume NINO PDA and K2
PDA project Campbell, CA 7/98-1/99
Consultant, System Cost Control Eng. Vadem Corp.: Consultant for cost control of a high volume PDA. Cost saving in four months for a
keyboard $650,000. San Jose CA 6/97-6/98
Consultant, Components/Cost control Eng.: Source Services Corp. Consultant for Philips Home Services, P.A. CA 4/96-6/97. Critical Cost
Control for High Volume Screen Phone Production. Saving 36 Million in production cost.
Consultant, Process Control MFG. Eng.: Groupe Sierfpa International, Cote d’Ivoire, Abidjan, Africa. ITC International. S. J., CA 1/96-4/96.
Strategic Business Plan for MFG the PC Computer’s in Africa.
Consultant, Process Control Manufacturing Engineering: Wong’s International Mt. View, CA 10/95-1/96
SMT Equipment setup. Start-up space feasibility. Drawing documentation.
Consultant, Process Control Manufacturing Engineering: Wellex Corp. Fremont, CA. 3/94-11/95.
Materials logistics control, SMT yield improvement, employee training, cost reductions.
Consultant, Process Control Manufacturing Engineering: Spectrian, Mountain View, CA. 2/94-11/95.
Cost reductions, RF component selection, improved efficiency of entire manufacturing process.
Manufacturing Production Manager: Zyvex Corp. San Jose, CA 11/86-11/91
Assigned all turnkey/ consignment projects. Managed and supervised over 160 employees.
VP Marketing: Wilder Engineering, Campbell, CA 3/92-4/96.
Software Touch-tone scheduling system for flying clubs and aircraft partnerships.
Founder CEO Start-up: Chariot Imaging Technology Inc. Santa Cruz, CA 7/89-3/92
Designed and manufactured a new generation of instant photo booths.
• Patents issued: Wireless Internet Methods Smartcard Web credit card.
• Patents pending: Multicore processors security
• Workstation (UNIX), RF CELL Phone’s, PC based Computers, PDA’s, and Screen Phones.
• FPGA Development platforms Silicon Blue and Lattice semiconductor
• Windows 9/XP, Linux, TARGA, AMASTAR (SMT), Custom OS
• Patent: Wireless Method Smartcard. Credential Authorization and Encryption (CAE)
• JAVA Development, Agile Administrator, Excel, Expandable, Windows, ABC Flow Chart, Word for Windows,
• Microsoft Draw, Office Power, Word Perfect, REO, Tip’s, GEOS 2.0, Auto CAD 14.0, ASK MANAMAN, Pascal.
• Compliance with ISO 9000 through BSI (British Standards Institute)
• Comply with FCC, CSA, TUV, VDE, UL and MIL STD 883C.
• Patent issued 6553481 System and method for smart card with memory
• Patent issued 6772239 Computer product and method for smart card
• Two Patents pending to be issued in the next two years in security IC’s and methods.
BS Marketing & Business Administration, S.J. State University CA
AA Technical Drafting West Valley College CA , AA Real Estate West Valley College
Supervisory/Management Training, Stanford University , Management Training, Santa Clara University
TQM/TPM Company Sponsored , ISO 9000 Procedures and Policies. JIT course.
Statistical Analysis/Finite Math Fixturing & Design and International Management. S.J. State
Traveled to 52 countries on (business and non-business) ventures.