America Without Americans By: Peyton C., Owen D., Kennedi T.
• • 10,000 years: Indian Point nuclear reactors continue to leak radioactivity into the Hudson River.
1 Day to 3 yearsWithout hosts Human head and body lice wouldgo extinct.Without heated homes and climes, cockroacheswould die outNew York Sewage systems would back upAny casual rainfall would completely flooddowntown ChicagoEmergency fuel supplies to
10 to 20 yearsSidewalks crack and weeds invade.Hawks and falcons flourish, as do feral cats anddogs.The rat population, deprived of human garbage,crashes.Cultivated carrots, cabbages, broccoli, and brusselssprouts revert to their wild ancestors.The Panama Canal seals up reuniting North andSouth America
• • 20,000 years: Glaciers move relentlessly across the island of Manhattan and its environs, scraping the landscape clean.
• • 20 years: Water-soaked steel columns supporting subway tunnels corrode and buckle. Bears and wolves invade Central Park.• • 50 years: Concrete chunks tumble from buildings, whose steel foundations begin to crumble. Indian Point nuclear reactors leak radioactivity into the Hudson River
• • 100 years: Oaks and maples re-cover the land.
• • 1,000 years: Hell Gate Bridge, built to bring the railroad across the East River, finally falls.
What would happen if humans disappeared from America? Have we left our mark?
Humans have a big effect on environments What if we were gone?
Work Citedworld+without+us.25 Dec.2008.Mondolithic Studioshttp://www.mondolithic.com/?p=445“Life After People Quiz.” 2011. The HistoryChannel website. Nov2http://www.mondolithic.com/?p=44512011, 4:29http://www.history.com/shows/life-after-people/interactives/life-after-people-quiz.
Work Cited Continued• Ghost-town-in-the- suburbs.24.Nov.2010.Oddities2011http://ww w.odditieszone.com/ghost-town-in-the- suburbs/
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.