View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
General Linguistics I
Oral Presntation on the History of Linguistics
General Objective: To get aquainted with the main issues linguistics has dealt with and
to know the evolution of the discipline since Panini (500 bc) up to the Reinaissance
Task: In pairs, make reasearch and present in 10 minutes, the historical and linguistic
context of the following topics.
• Importance of Phoenician Alphabet
• Linguistic ideas in antiquity: Greek Tradition (Plato, Aristotle, Socrates,
• Linguistic ideas in antiquity: Roman Tradition (Donatus, Priscian)
• Linguistic ideas in antiquity: Arabic and Hebrew Traditions (Qur'ān, al-
Khalīl , morphologic tradition)
• Linguistic ideas in the Middle Ages (Bacon, Modistae, Bible, Saint
Jerome, universal notion of grammar)
• Linguistic ideas in the Renaissance (Descartes, Comparative Method )
Presentations on May 3rd.
Evaluation: Peer evaluation