Capstone Design—Computer Systems
gStock—A Virtual Stock Application
Fantasy stock applications currently exist for many platforms and systems. We
wish to build such an application for the recently released Google Android
Mobile Phone platform. This will give users of the phones based on Google
Android such as the HTC G1, access to up‐to‐date stock quotes and simulated
trading. The application will also provide recent news feeds specific to stocks
being observed to allow for optimal trade decisions.
Motivation, Scope and Impact:
There has always been a desire for a fantasy stock application that lets you trade
stock in the current market using virtual money. These applications let you
watch stocks of interest and trade them at market price with a virtual portfolio.
This is ideal for mainly two kinds of users. First are the beginners who would
like to learn the trading basics and strategies to be successful in the market.
Second is for users who have money invested in the market and would like a real
time report indicating their gains and losses. In today’s mobile era there is a
need more than ever for such applications that include these features “to‐go”.
Most platforms already have similar programs already deployed. But as a newly
released platform, the Google Android has limited applications with limited
options related to stock tracking and virtual trading. We propose a user‐
friendly, all‐inclusive application that can be utilized by all Android users both
experts and beginners alike. This application would combine many popular
features like stock tracking, history, up to date news feeds, live streaming, virtual
trading and risk analysis in one application for Google Android based phones.
The application would result in a good base for beginner users to learn the
market and for experts to follow the market and their current investments,
giving them the ability to quickly analyze and react to the changing market.
Currently the target audience is limited to Google Android based phone users,
with a possibility to expand to other platforms that support external java Apps.
Domain of Knowledge:
• Java—Object oriented programming.
• Various Android API’s and programming techniques.
• GUI—Using Java Swing.
• Google API—RSS news feeds and stock updates.
• Android Emulator—Basic emulation functionalities
• Knowledge of the Android file structure which will be used for storing data.
• Virtual Stock Trader
o Live stock tracking with search feature
o Live New Feeds
o Overall Portfolio Management
o Risk analysis tool
o Graphical Streamers
This project is very suitable for a software engineering project because it can
easily be divided between group members. The major components are listed
• Intuitive graphical user interface
o Overall portfolio Menu View
o Complete Portfolio View (showing stock prices of all bought stocks)
o Watched Stocks List (shows quotes for preselected stocks)
o Specific Stock Page View (shows historical data / detailed data for
Historical Graph of stock prices
RRS news feeds (stock specific)
Risk Analysis Score (if time permits)
• Backend code to obtain as close to real time stock quotes as possible
• Backend code to obtain news relevant to company
• Backend code to maintain account positions and balances
Anticipated Technical Challenges/ Risks:
There are going to be several challenging aspects to the design of this
application. Below is a list of the most significant.
• Accessing real‐time (or as current as possible) stock quotes
• Polling these stock quotes while conserving battery
• Using RRS feeds searched by ticker symbol to access relevant news
• Creating an easy to use and easy to read interface
• Possibly having to create a database to store stock information
Link to Web Page: